WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — A 68-year-old man whose son was engaged in a bitter custody battle was identified Tuesday as the gunman who opened fire in a Delaware courthouse lobby, killing his former daughter-in-law and another woman. The gunman also died after exchanging fire with officers.
Delaware State Police said Thomas Matusiewicz of Edcouch, Texas, shot 39-year-old Christine Belford and her 47-year-old friend Laura Mulford on Monday. Two police hit by gunfire were protected by their armored vests.
Police were awaiting autopsy results Tuesday to determine whether Matusiewicz was killed by police or shot himself with his .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun.
State police homicide detectives continued interviewing witnesses, viewing surveillance videos and collecting evidence at the New Castle County Courthouse, which remained closed.
Authorities said Belford and Mulford, both from Newark, were at the courthouse to attend a child support arrears hearing for Belford’s ex-husband, David Matusiewicz.
State police spokesman Sgt. Paul Shavack said David Matusiewicz, 45, was being questioned and was in custody on a federal probation technicality. He did not provide details. A hearing was scheduled for Tuesday afternoon on that matter.
David Matusiewicz, a former optometrist, pleaded guilty in 2009 to federal fraud and kidnapping charges after fleeing to Nicaragua in a motor home with his mother and three young daughters. Investigators said Matusiewicz, who was released from prison last year, kidnapped the girls after forging his ex-wife’s name on a loan document.
According to court records, Matusiewicz took the girls to Central America in 2007 after telling Belford they were going to Disney World for two weeks. The couple was sharing custody at the time. Before their divorce, they’d lived in Middletown together.
Lenore Matusiewicz, the children’s grandmother and gunman’s wife, pleaded guilty to endangering the girls’ welfare and was sentenced to 18 months in prison in the kidnapping plot.
Barbara Dixon, who lived next to David Matusiewicz and Belford in Middletown before their divorce, recalled both the parents and grandparents as good neighbors.
“They might have been a little strange,” she said. But the parents and grandparents doted on the children and invited her to bring her grandchildren over to use their pool.
Dixon said Thomas Matusiewicz was outgoing and “very nice” and that she often saw him working on the house or yard.
Dixon said she last spoke with Belford about a month ago. She said Belford was not worried about her safety despite her husband’s release from prison last fall, perhaps because she had stayed in touch with detectives.
“She said, ‘Oh, I think everything will be all right,'” Dixon recalled.
In a Chapter 13 bankruptcy filing in Texas last year, Thomas Matusiewicz noted that he, his wife, son and daughter, Amy Gonzalez, were named as defendants in Delaware Superior Court lawsuit filed by Belford. Matusiewicz also noted in a list of property transfers that he had sold several guns at yard sales in 2010. He listed a single-shot rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun, a Glock 9mm pistol and Glock .45-caliber pistol, with a total value received of $650.
Shavack, the police spokesman, said Matusiewicz used a .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol in Monday’s shooting, but that he did not know the make and model or whether it could have been the same gun listed in Matusiewicz’s bankruptcy filing.
Bill Heriot, a plaintiff in a business dispute that was scheduled for trial Monday, said he was waiting to enter the courthouse when he saw the gunman pull out a pistol and fire a single shot at each of the two women. After the shooting stopped, Heriot said he knelt down beside the first woman who was shot.
“I turned her over and unbuttoned her coat. I saw a single bullet hole in the center of her chest,” Heriot said. “I held her hand, told her it was going to be all right. Her pupils dilated. She turned pale and passed away.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30