Whitney Houston‘s name brings a smile to the face of anyone who has ever listened to her belt out a tune. Old or young, Whitney evokes a powerful response when she or her work is mentioned. Even on a day that marks the last time we would ever hear her voice in person, people remember Whitney with a toothy grin.
I recently had the opportunity to speak with living legend, Charlie Wilson, who is currently promoting his latest album “Love, Charlie.” Wilson, like Whitney, struggled with drug addiction for some of the 80s and 90s after his group–The Gap Band broke up. He knows first hand the trials and tribulations associated with drugs. Charlie was able to recover from that lifestyle but Whitney wasn’t as fortunate. Whitney may be gone but her legacy lives on through remarkable music and a presence that could never be forgotten!
Charlie laughed as he recalled the time Whitney attended one of his shows with The Gap Band, offended his wife then joined him onstage!
“We, The Gap Band, were playing in Florida. I think Disney World and I noticed Whitney and Bobby standing in the back, there were some street lights sort of and I was like ‘That’s Whitney and Bobby over there.’ My wife pointed out to them. She went to go get Bobby and Whitney but she [Whitney] had never met or seen my wife. So she went over to try to say something and she [Whitney] said something to my wife and it kind of embarrassed her. So my wife turned around and walked off. [Someone] said ‘That’s Charlie Wilson’s wife’ and she said ‘OMG. I’m sorry. Wait. Wait. Wait! I’m so sorry. OK. I’m coming with you.’ She grabbed her hand and they walked back to the stage. Then she just came on the stage with me and sang a little bit and Bobby came after that.”
Originally seen on HelloBeautiful.com
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25