A new survey has named Atlanta the eight most literate city in the U.S.
The study conducted by Dr. Jack Miller, president of Central Connecticut State University identified Washington D.C. as the nation’s most literate city for the third time.
The survey is in its tenth year of measuring America’s social health by reviewing reading aptitude within 75 of the country’s largest cities.
The top 10 cities include:
- Washington D.C.
- Seattle, WA
- Minneapolis, MN
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Denver, CO
- St. Paul, MN
- Boston, MA
- Atlanta, GA
- St. Louis, MO
- Portland, OR
Researchers gathered data by assessing six literacy resources including booksellers, educational demographics, library usage, newspaper circulation and periodical publishing resources. The data was then compared to the population rates in each city.
Studies are also showing that Americans are slowly backing away from traditional forms of reading.
Despite the 48-percent rise in income over the last 12 years, there is a 30 percent decline in purchasing reading resources such as books, magazines and newspapers. Even with the rise of e-readers like Nooks and iPads, researchers found a 22-percent decline in reading activity.
Researchers find that Americans don’t lack the time to read but are choosing to indulge in other forms of entertainment. According to recent statistics, annual spending on services such as cable TV and electronics is 8.5 times more than purchases on reading materials.
Within the 75 cities surveyed, the average newspaper circulation declined more than 37 percent while library usage has remained unchanged.
“While Americans are becoming more and more educated in terms of their time spent in school and their achieved education level, they are decreasing in terms of literate behaviors,” Dr. Miller suggested.
Researchers also found that the percent of bachelor degree holders in major cities has remained steady within the past twelve years.
Dr. Miller believes that this trend simply indicates a shift in literacy methods.
“The context for reading is undergoing dramatic, rapidly increasing change on a number of fronts. These are truly fascinating times for those of us who study literacy,” Dr. Miller said. “But I am concerned about what these changes portend for our country.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31