A new survey has named Atlanta the eight most literate city in the U.S.
The study conducted by Dr. Jack Miller, president of Central Connecticut State University identified Washington D.C. as the nation’s most literate city for the third time.
The survey is in its tenth year of measuring America’s social health by reviewing reading aptitude within 75 of the country’s largest cities.
The top 10 cities include:
- Washington D.C.
- Seattle, WA
- Minneapolis, MN
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Denver, CO
- St. Paul, MN
- Boston, MA
- Atlanta, GA
- St. Louis, MO
- Portland, OR
Researchers gathered data by assessing six literacy resources including booksellers, educational demographics, library usage, newspaper circulation and periodical publishing resources. The data was then compared to the population rates in each city.
Studies are also showing that Americans are slowly backing away from traditional forms of reading.
Despite the 48-percent rise in income over the last 12 years, there is a 30 percent decline in purchasing reading resources such as books, magazines and newspapers. Even with the rise of e-readers like Nooks and iPads, researchers found a 22-percent decline in reading activity.
Researchers find that Americans don’t lack the time to read but are choosing to indulge in other forms of entertainment. According to recent statistics, annual spending on services such as cable TV and electronics is 8.5 times more than purchases on reading materials.
Within the 75 cities surveyed, the average newspaper circulation declined more than 37 percent while library usage has remained unchanged.
“While Americans are becoming more and more educated in terms of their time spent in school and their achieved education level, they are decreasing in terms of literate behaviors,” Dr. Miller suggested.
Researchers also found that the percent of bachelor degree holders in major cities has remained steady within the past twelve years.
Dr. Miller believes that this trend simply indicates a shift in literacy methods.
“The context for reading is undergoing dramatic, rapidly increasing change on a number of fronts. These are truly fascinating times for those of us who study literacy,” Dr. Miller said. “But I am concerned about what these changes portend for our country.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30