When a Black family took a trip to Disneyland in August, one of their young sons wanted to hug The Rabbit from “Alice In Wonderland.”
But the parents of the boy claim that when he had his chance to embrace the Disney character, the bunny rejected him.
“I went to hug him but he turned his back,” the 6-year-old said. “It’s made me feel sad because I wanted to really hug him.”
“The Rabbit was turning his back on him like he didn’t want to touch him,” said his older brother Elijah Black. “Then I went up and tried to hold his hand but he kept flicking my hand off.”
Now the family has filed a lawsuit against Disneyland, claiming that the actor playing the famed character discriminated against their son because he is black, Fox 40 in California reports.
The boy’s mother, Annelia Black, says she tried to figure out what was going on but got nowhere.
“I asked the rabbit, I said ‘he wants to hug you,’” she said. “He’s like twirling his fingers, like hurry up take the picture.”
The boy’s father, Jason LeRoy Black Sr. says it was clear what the actor was trying to do.
“When the rabbit shied away from the kids, our first instinct was, maybe they have a new policy,” he figured. “Maybe they aren’t supposed to touch the kids anymore. So we stood by and watched.”
And what they saw disturbed them. When two white kids approached The Rabbit, the Blacks said the actor’s behavior changed.
“[The] Rabbit showered, hugged, kissed and posed with them and took pictures,” he said. “That made my kids feel horrible, it made us as adults feel horrible.”
The family said they immediately went to management to complain and showed them photos, which they argue distinguish how the actor interacted with their kids and the white ones. The parents filed an official complaint and were offered VIP passes. They did not accept them.
Since August, the Blacks and Disney have exchanged correspondence over the incident. Disney has asked the Blacks to sign a confidentiality waiver in exchange for $500. But the family has hired an attorney to assist them in getting the company to fire the employee and apologize.
“They’re not trying to get something they don’t deserve,” said their attorney Dan Gilleon. “In fact all they’ve asked for is a little bit of recognition that this should not have happened.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25