So, this whole ‘acting white’ thing has been in the news again. The theory started in the 1980s that African-American youth equate academic success or high achievement with quote-unquote “acting white”
Howard University professor, Dr. Ivory Toldson, recently published a paper arguing that this “acting white” theory was hollow or not supported by findings or fact.
Now I know some of you might be thinking ‘well I do know or have heard some children taunt their studious peers for “acting white”
Many of us likely have, but the point of the study is not to suggest this doesn’t happen, but to show that African-American children have a much healthier attitude toward academic achievement than is commonly reported.
Toldson studied the numbers from a CBS survey of over 1,000 high school students of various racial backgrounds on their opinions about smart students and being smart.
Now check this out; black males, more so than any other group ―white males and females included ―were the most likely to consider such high-achieving students as “cool”.
Toldson also shows that black females were the most likely to take pride in doing well in school, while white males were the most likely to be “embarrassed” by strong academic performance.
So what does this mean? Well, Chuck D of Public Enemy probably put it best a few years back when he offered, “Don’t believe the Hype“.
You see it’s unfortunately far too easy for us as a community to buy into myths that are not really based in truth. We then make them worse by spreading them until our children are running around repeating them like they’re a proven fact.
And then, most dangerous of all, once we hear it a few times, we internalize these false notions. Once we do, we’ve created a monster that now acts and looks real and does a lot of damage to our community and children despite the fact that it’s just a figment of our imagination.
Now to be clear, I’m not, and neither are these findings suggesting our children don’t accuse their peers of “acting white.” Toldson acknowledges such labeling is there, but these results show they are more likely the result of styles of dress, speech patterns and musical tastes than of academic achievement.
This is important to recognize since academic achievement is likely the most important indicator of future success…And if we perpetuate false myths among our children, or allow them to believe in them, then we shouldn’t sit around whining about “what’s wrong with these kids today” or wondering why they’re not doing well.
I’ll leave you with this from President John F. Kennedy:
“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. “
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30