Zora Ball, a 7-year-old prodigy, is the youngest person to create a mobile video game.
She’s in the first grade – and she’s black.
Zora is a high-tech kid in a high-tech world who is already a serious inventor in a competitive global marketplace.
The brilliant youngster from Philadelphia applied her math skills to design the video game using programming language Bootstrap, which is usually taught to older students — between the ages of 12 and 16 — to help them learn algebra.
Zora’s mobile game was introduced last month during the University of Pennsylvania’s Bootstrap Expo. She attends the Harambee Institute of Science and Technology, a charter school in Philadelphia and she also joins an after-school program called The STEMnasium Learning Academy, which also teaches students Mandarin.
“We expect great things from Zora, as her older brother, Trace Ball, is a past STEM Scholar of the Year,” said Harambee Science Teacher Tariq Al-Nasir, who is also the founder of the STEMnasium Learning Academy.
Zora, a math phenomenon, is also a shining example of what black children can accomplish when offered a quality education and an opportunity to succeed.
There are too many black children in America who are not being nurtured in the public school system, either because there are too many kids in crowded classrooms, or they don’t get the home support they need, or they are overlooked by overworked teachers.
In the case of black males, for example, a 2012 report from the Schott Foundation for Public Education, found that only 52 percent of black male ninth-graders graduate from high school four years later, while 78 per cent of white ninth-graders graduate four years later.
Over the past nine years, there has been some progress in the national graduation rate for male students across the board, according to the report, but it would take nearly 50 years for black males to secure the same high school graduation rates as their white male peers.
But some children, like Zora, are getting opportunities to use their God-given talents in math, science and technology despite studies that suggest black children are consuming more media than any other racial group.
A study compiled by Northwestern University, “Children, Media and Race: Media Use Among White, Black, Hispanic and Asian American Children,” is the first national study focused specifically on media consumption by race and ethnicity.
The findings show black and Hispanic youth consume more than three hours of television daily. Whites and Asians consumed more than two hours. Technologies such as DVDs, TiVo, and mobile and online viewing increased television consumption to 5 hours and 54 minutes for black children, 5 hours and 21 minutes for Hispanics, 4 hours and 41 minutes for Asians, and 3 hours and 36 minutes for whites.
For many black children television takes away from study time and homework, but for others, online viewing could stimulate creativity and innovative thinking while producing high-tech masterminds like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg.
Last year, the Obama Administration proposed creating a new agency within the Department of Education that will fund the development of new education technologies and promote their use in the classroom.
Even at an early age, Zora Ball epitomizes this bold White House initiative as one of America’s youngest role models and emerging technology gurus.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30