Have a dental question for the doctor? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH) during the TJMS.
Catrise Austin has been called the dentist to the stars, counting Toni Braxton, Anthony Anderson, Wendy Williams and Paula Abdul among her patients, and winning accolades for her celebrity and concierge service.
But Austin, author of a new book, “5 Steps to the Hollywood A-List Smile,” wants the average person to be educated about the importance of good dental health, as well as a winning grin.
Austin, who also is a highly sought-after dentistry expert and motivational speaker, created an educational program and dental consumer self-help guide and was the first dentist in the country to also offer HIV testing to patients during routine dental checkups.
Her attention to health issues beyond dentistry is warranted.
According to the American Academy of Periodontology, oral health is related to other conditions, including stroke, heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease and certain forms of cancer. Sometimes a dentist can detect a problem during a routine checkup before the symptoms become apparent to you or your physician.
The academy reported that even though approximately three out of four Americans suffer from some form of gum disease – from mild cases of gingivitis, to the more severe form known as periodontitis – only about three percent seek treatment for their gum disease.
Forty-eight percent of lower-income Americans (i.e., those who report household incomes of less than $20,000), according to one study, said they had not seen a dentist in the previous year. Further, one in eight Americans reports having difficulty with normal daily activities because of problems with his or her mouth, teeth and gums, according to the study, and half of Americans said they were currently experiencing one or more oral health conditions.
Community clinics and dental schools often offer low-cost options for those who put off going to the dentist because they lack health insurance. The academy also offers a free online risk assessment test.
“I work tirelessly, tirelessly to get information out…there is connection with your dental health and your overall health and my message and my passion is to get you guys to understand that and to know why it’s so important to go to the dentist,” Austin said when she was honored in 2010 with a BOSS Network award at Jay-Z’s 40/40 Club in New York.
“And while it’s sexy to work with the entertainment industry,” Austin said, “my passion is to let you guys know that I am here for you.”
Click here for answers to your dental questions.
-Written by Jackie Jones, BlackAmericaWeb
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25