Hadiya Pendleton, a 15-year-old honor student in Chicago slain in a park just days after returning from the inaugural celebration in Washington, D.C., will be buried on Saturday.
The family of the teenager has announced that visitation will be from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday at Calahan Funeral Home, located at 7030 Halstead. A wake will be at 9 a.m. the following Saturday at Greater Harvest Baptist Church at 5141 South State Street. The funeral will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Large crowds are expected for the visitation and funeral services to honor the teen who is becoming the face of the national anti-gun violence effort. Edward Calahan, owner of the funeral home, told BlackAmericaweb.com they have made arrangements with local police to help manage the traffic. The facility has three parking lots, he said.
Meanwhile, an online petition calling for President Barack Obama to attend the funeral of the teenager killed about a mile from his Chicago home are picking up traction at with about 800 people signing as of Monday morning. A total of 100,000 signatures are needed to get a response from the White House.
Another petition on Change.org has also been launched calling for the president to make a speech in Chicago addressing the crisis of gun violence. About 1,600 people had signed that petition as of Monday morning.
Hadiya, a student at the selective King College Preparatory School, was shot Tuesday as she and friends took shelter from the rain in Harsh Park after completing exams. Police said a man approached the group firing random shots. Although they have received tips, there has been no arrest. The current reward in the case now stands at $40,000, the Chicago Police Department confirmed for BlackAmericaweb.com.
Police in Chicago say they have taken at least 450 illegal weapons off the streets since the first of year, but gun violence continues to plague the city.
Hadiya’s death a week ago brought the January number of homicides in that city to 42. The homicide rate in Chicago was up 77 percent in January compared to 2011, according to police department statistics.
“Every day, our law abiding citizens and law enforcement officials are put in harm’s way by the brazen actions of criminals with guns,” police Superintendent Garry F. McCarthy said in a prepared statement. “The availability of guns for criminals, and their willingness to use them, is an issue we must address head on with common-sense gun legislation,” he said.
The debate over gun control continues across the country with Senate Democrats preparing to take a gun bill to the floor that includes most of the proposals backed by President Barack Obama. The bill would not include a ban on military-style, semiautomatic weapons, a top aide to Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada told the Wall Street Journal.
The Senate Democrats bill would seek to limit the capacity of ammunition magazines; expand background checks to include sales at gun shows and other private transactions; and require better record keeping to keep guns out of the hands of those with mental illness, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31