Hadiya Pendleton, a 15-year-old honor student in Chicago slain in a park just days after returning from the inaugural celebration in Washington, D.C., will be buried on Saturday.
The family of the teenager has announced that visitation will be from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday at Calahan Funeral Home, located at 7030 Halstead. A wake will be at 9 a.m. the following Saturday at Greater Harvest Baptist Church at 5141 South State Street. The funeral will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Large crowds are expected for the visitation and funeral services to honor the teen who is becoming the face of the national anti-gun violence effort. Edward Calahan, owner of the funeral home, told BlackAmericaweb.com they have made arrangements with local police to help manage the traffic. The facility has three parking lots, he said.
Meanwhile, an online petition calling for President Barack Obama to attend the funeral of the teenager killed about a mile from his Chicago home are picking up traction at with about 800 people signing as of Monday morning. A total of 100,000 signatures are needed to get a response from the White House.
Another petition on Change.org has also been launched calling for the president to make a speech in Chicago addressing the crisis of gun violence. About 1,600 people had signed that petition as of Monday morning.
Hadiya, a student at the selective King College Preparatory School, was shot Tuesday as she and friends took shelter from the rain in Harsh Park after completing exams. Police said a man approached the group firing random shots. Although they have received tips, there has been no arrest. The current reward in the case now stands at $40,000, the Chicago Police Department confirmed for BlackAmericaweb.com.
Police in Chicago say they have taken at least 450 illegal weapons off the streets since the first of year, but gun violence continues to plague the city.
Hadiya’s death a week ago brought the January number of homicides in that city to 42. The homicide rate in Chicago was up 77 percent in January compared to 2011, according to police department statistics.
“Every day, our law abiding citizens and law enforcement officials are put in harm’s way by the brazen actions of criminals with guns,” police Superintendent Garry F. McCarthy said in a prepared statement. “The availability of guns for criminals, and their willingness to use them, is an issue we must address head on with common-sense gun legislation,” he said.
The debate over gun control continues across the country with Senate Democrats preparing to take a gun bill to the floor that includes most of the proposals backed by President Barack Obama. The bill would not include a ban on military-style, semiautomatic weapons, a top aide to Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada told the Wall Street Journal.
The Senate Democrats bill would seek to limit the capacity of ammunition magazines; expand background checks to include sales at gun shows and other private transactions; and require better record keeping to keep guns out of the hands of those with mental illness, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30