Reverend Al Sharpton talked with the TJMS this morning on the hot topic of immigration just one day after President Obama outlined his plans for immigration reform.
Sharpton explains why he thinks it’s not just a Latino problem but also how it directly impacts the black community.
Read the full transcript below.
Good morning, good morning. And good morning to everyone. Let me say that the President has only been in his second term less than two weeks and has already triggers where his Administration is going. He started by dealing with this fiscal cliff, saving unemployment insurance, saving a lot of what services we need to continue funding. He then started the drive for new gun control. He’s now addressing immigration. And a lot of people are dealing with two very significant myths about his immigration proposals.
One, immigration is not just a Latino issue. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY where people from Jamaica, people from Trinidad, people from Barbados, people from Africa. The cases I have fought, Abner Louiama was from Haiti. Amadou Diallo from Africa. So many of us are saying why is he doing this for Latinos as if we don’t have immigration problems that people are married, raising families, those people will be deported from their children. Some of them born here never lived in these countries that will be sent back. So it is inaccurate.
It is also inhumane. If it was all Latino we should not want to see families disrupted and situations dissolve the exact things that was done to us. Now, this whole argument about taking jobs from us. We’ve been doubly unemployed since slavery. The last time all blacks had a job was when we were slaved and we didn’t get paid.
Let us not blame others for what the economy and the private sector has done to us. Let us unite with others to correct the economy. Seventy-one percent of Latinos voted for President Obama. Politically he ought to remember that. But morally we ought to be coalescing to give immigrants’ rights our rights and fight for rights together rather than be crabs in the barrel trying to crawl on each other’s back. We need to unite and take the lid off of where we are caged so there’s room for all of us to spread out. Let’s not fight each other, let’s unite. We proved in November we could win that way. Don’t let them pit us against each other.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25