Three signs that the end might be near: 1. Al Roker was actually doing the weather this morning, 2. The Los Angeles Clippers have a better record than the L.A. Lakers and 3. on the topic of lifting the ban of women serving in combat in the U.S. military, I actually agree with conservative former Congressman Allen West!
Like West, I believe that pitting women against men in combat is like expecting women to successfully go up against men in professional contact sports. Who thinks that’s a good idea? I’m not in any way discounting the skill, strength, agility, intelligence, or any of the attributes it takes for one to succeed in military combat. On paper and even in some actual situations, I’m certain that some women could perform as well as or better than some men.
But in an actual combat situation against a brutal enemy, I would not take the risk of women being killed or harmed physically or mentally.
Of course, females who enlist in the military have the ability to make the decision whether or not to serve in this capacity. But I hope, when it comes down to it, common sense, and yeah, compassion will prevail. I’m all for equal rights, equal pay, equal everything. But women are not built to compete physically with their male counter parts, and especially not an enemy.
Now, someone is going to say, but Tom, there was a time when black men were allowed to perform certain jobs in the military and now it sounds like you’re condoning the same kind of discrimination against women. To you, I say, “don’t even try it.”
If you disagree with me let me hear your thoughts and more importantly, an alternate solution. In the meantime, in jest, we put together a mock squadron of female celebrities who could possibly give our opposing forces a run for their money:
Naomi Campbell, Brenda Richie, Lebron James’ mom, Basketball Wives, Atlanta Housewives, Elin Woods, (bring your golf club) Pilar Sanders, and Deion’s Aunt Laura, Big Ang from “Mob Wives” and Serena Willliams (bring your racket).
In all seriousness, I wouldn’t want any of those women on the frontlines, no matter how much fight they have in them..no more than I’d want to see the best female football player in the country run up against linebacker Ray Lewis. I don’t have any sisters or daughters, but I do have granddaughter. Perhaps selfishly, I’m looking out for her. I want her to know that she can grow up to do anything and be anything…but she doesn’t have to prove that to anyone by risking her life.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25