Have a fitness question for Obi Obadike? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH) during the TJMS’ “Get Well Wednesday” segment.
There are dozens of fitness magazines on the market and if you read any of them you no doubt have seen Obi Obadike on the cover.
After recurring hamstring injuries during his stellar collegiate track career at Cal State Fullerton, where he held the school record in the 100 and 200 meters, the 4×100 meter relay, as well as Athlete of the Year, and won All Big West Conference honors twice, he decided to get involved in sports modeling.
In the past decade, Obadike has appeared in more than 15 national television commercials and 30 national print ad campaigns; the most memorable being the Gatorade “winning formula” commercial, which enjoyed a two-year run from 2005-2007. He beat out more than 100 fitness models and athletes for the spot.
Known as the “The World’s Most Ripped Fitness Model” because of his low percentage of body fat, Obadike decided to wade into the fitness industry in 2008 and became a certified personal trainer, launching his business, Perfect Anatomy, and aims to take his message to TV (see video below).
The motivational speaker writes “Ask the Ripped Dude” and “Ripped Roundtable,” regular columns on Bodybuilding.com, as well as journal articles and authored and co-authored two fat-loss ebooks, “Ultimate Fat Loss For Men and Women” and co-author of “The 28 Minute Workout,” respectively.
He is also one of the most retweeted fitness brands with more than 1 million Twitter followers.
Obadike was named the 2012 Bodybuilding.com writer of the year and the site has named its annual awards event “The Obis.” The winner in each category will received a trophy statue of Obadike’s likeness.
His ultimate goal is to help reduce the obesity rate worldwide.
In the black community, obesity is linked to a disproportionately higher rate of health problems, including hypertension, asthma, type 2 diabetes and cancer. National statistics show approximately one in five African American children are obese. That’s far higher than the obesity rate for white children. Additionally, African American girls have the highest obesity rate of any ethnic and gender group tracked by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, just over 29 percent of black adolescent girls were likely to be considered obese, compared to 14.5 percent of white adolescent girls.
Obadike is on a mission to help people get healthy.
“You can have great abs, great physique, money in the bank and have all the wisdom in the world,” Obadike said in a statement, “but if you don’t have the ability to share it with people, then it means absolutely nothing.”
Want to know the top fat-burning foods? Click here to ‘Ask the Ripped Dude.’
Click here for answers to your fitness questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31