I witnessed an incident on a flight this weekend that reminded me how often we fail as a society, regardless of race or economic level, at defending and honoring our elders.
In a time ruled by technology, where productivity and profit come to those that can move the fastest; and in a day and age of maximum pleasure and thus maximum selfishness; it is the elderly who are denied value and honor.
An AP article posted today states that the number of Americans 65 and over is projected to nearly double by 2030. The number of seniors being abused, exploited or neglected every year is often estimated at about $2 million, judging by available statistics, but experts say the number could be much higher. Some research indicates that 1 in 10 seniors have suffered some form of abuse at least once and most of this abuse comes from family members.
All of us, no matter who you are, has been blessed, touched, trained, mentored, and loved by someone who is now an elder. No matter how well or poorly you have treated them in the past, I ask that you would honor an elder in your life today. Try to focus on the living, and if not, share the story of an elder that has gone on in your life with a young person who needs to know their story. But the living need to know how much they mean to us while they are here.
So call them to tell them they’re being thought of. Buy flowers, stop by and hug them, but let them know you are because they did. There are a few TJMS family members that wanted to honor an elder today.
Edward L. Nimrod honors his third grade teacher, Mrs. Sewell… “When I was a kid in my envoirnment, I had nowhere & no one to turn to for ANY sort of guidance so my third grade teacher, Mrs. Sewell, invited me to her church and introduced me to God…”
Vie Joyner honors her mom, Jean Joyner. She says, “she was my VERY FIRST GIRL CRUSH. I loved watching my mother when I was younger because I adored her! I thought she was just perfect.”
Karen McNeil honors her grandfather Europe Jackson. He will be 99 years old on January 31. She says, “When his oldest daughter passed away, he and my grandmother were heartbroken. But he kept working as a plumber to raise his 11 other children and his daughter’s only child, a girl. And that child is writing to you now to say how much she and the entire family love, respect and honor him.”
I know so many, but want to honor Evelyn Davis, my first Sunday school teacher. She gave us the word, taught us to be upright, was not afraid to knock you out, but loved and loves every child that came through St. Marks church until today.
So to every elder in my life and yours, THANK YOU. We are who we are because you were willing to do what you did. And today we honor you.
As always, I’m Jeff Johnson and that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31