Well guys, it’s been a political week. President Obama was inaugurated and sworn in for the second and now he’s working to define his legacy.
And while this is very big news, it’s certainly not the only ground breaking political news involving African Americans and the White House these days.
Because every Thursday night there’s at least one other politically-savvy African American who pretty much runs the White House and the President from her infamous damage-control firm in DC.
Yes, I’m talking about Attorney Olivia Pope, the complex Scandal-queen herself, played by Kerry Washington on ABC’s hit show Scandal. It’s safe to say that black folks have not been this excited about Thursday night since Cosby.
And though it’s the fictional world of TV, there are certain realities about the politics surrounding this show that should be discussed.
For one, as most of you know, African Americans run this show in just about every aspect.
It’s based on and co-executive produced by real-life, damage-control specialist Judy Smith, a former member of the Bush White House who represented Monica Lewinsky and Michael Vick.
Written and created by another brilliant sister, Shonda Rhimes, it’s the highest-rated drama among African-Americans, and Kerry Washington is the first black female lead in a network drama in almost 40 years.
Wow, comets return faster than that.
The NY times ran a piece pondering if Washington’s lead role represents a “new era of post-racial television where cast members are ethnically diverse but are not defined by their race or ethnicity.”
Hmm…post-racial TV, huh? Only took us 40 years to get another black female dramatic lead and now we’re post-racial?
In any event, it does raise some interesting questions regarding the type of roles and characters we should embrace in the 21st century.
Must they be good or moral characters like those on Cosby, especially given the media’s ongoing negative stereotyping of black life on screen? Or should they be more complex, both good and bad, more like Washington’s Olivia Pope?
Tell us if you want your 21st century black characters to be all good like Cosby or more complex like Olivia Pope and why.
I’ll leave you with this from Dr. Brittney Cooper, assistant professor of women’s studies at Rutgers University, on the unique character of Olivia Pope.
“She’s the most complex black female lead we’ve ever seen in prime time. You’re not getting an archetype, you’re not getting a stereotype, you’re getting a fully-fledged human being.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25