Robin Roberts returned to the NYC set of “Good Morning America” this morning for a private trial run to see if she’s physically ready to resume her co-hosting duties.
It was her first visit to the show since undergoing a bone marrow transplant in September. Last week, Roberts explained that she would be doing a series of doctor-approved “dry runs” before officially re-joining the show.
“My doctors want me to see how many people I actually come in contact with,” Roberts said. “How my body reacts to the stimulation, that’s code word for stress of being in the studio environment.”
She added, “My skin is very sensitive and so we have to see how it reacts to the studio lights. My vision is still a little blurry from the treatment. All of this is getting better day by day so that is the next step.”
In June, 51-year-old Roberts was diagnosed with MDS — or myelodysplastic syndrome — a disease of the blood and bone marrow that was once known as preleukemia. In late December, Roberts, a breast cancer survivor, celebrated the crucial 100-day benchmark from her bone marrow transplant to treat the MDS. The transplant was a five-minute procedure in which the donor cells from Robin’s sister, Sally-Ann, were injected into Robin’s system through a syringe.
Since the transplant her doctors have been tracking her recovery and monitoring her weakened immune system to ensure that it is successfully acclimating to the new bone marrow. Her doctors have called her recovery strong.
“What we know now is that we can’t see any of the disease that prompted this whole process right now,” her oncologist, Dr. Gail Roboz, of the New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center said on “GMA” last week. ”That’s really… what we were looking for. She is doing wonderfully. There are many patients who at this point after a transplant are not at all having a conversation about going back to work, let alone the type of work that she does, so we are thrilled that she’s doing so well.”
The “GMA” anchor made a special appearance in December at the New York City wedding of her “GMA” colleague Sam Champion to Rubem Robierb. Roberts played a part in the nuptials, reading a poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.
Roberts, who has been on medical leave from “GMA” since Aug. 30, said in a statement this morning, “What a thrill to be back at ‘GMA”s Times Square Studio this morning and see the best folks in the world, my ‘GMA’ family. I can’t wait to get back to the anchor chair in a few weeks.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25