President Barack Obama is subtly incorporating race into his inauguration for a second term in the White House.
When Obama is publicly sworn-in on Monday as America’s 45th president, he will place his right hand on two weather-worn Bibles – one owned by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and the other by Abraham Lincoln – and recite the oath of office. King carried his Bible during the civil rights movement and Lincoln used his Bible during his first inauguration in 1861.
It’s no coincidence that these Bibles collectively symbolize more than a century of racial evolution — it’s the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington led by King and the 150th anniversary of Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation, where more than three million black people were freed from slavery.
And Monday is also the official federal holiday to honor King’s life and his contributions to America. King delivered his famous “I Have a Dream” speech 50 years ago at the Lincoln Memorial.
“Two figures that I admire probably more than anyone in American history are Dr. King and President Lincoln,” Obama said in a video released by the White House. “So for me to have the opportunity to be sworn in using the Bibles of these two men that I admire so deeply — and on the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation and the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington — is fitting because their actions ….is the only reason it’s possible for me to be inaugurated.”
For Obama, America’s first black president, using King’s Bible and Lincoln’s Bible is a powerful statement about the president’s support for King’s non-violent social movement and Lincoln’s progressive leadership during times of slavery.
And for those who argue that Obama does not speak out enough on issues of race, Monday’s swearing-in ceremony is the president’s understated way of showing his critics that he embraces the legacy of the civil rights movement and the black experience in America.
“These two Bibles represent the stride for freedom. One represents emancipation; the other represents inclusion into the fabric of the American experience,” King’s daughter, Bernice King, told The Atlanta Journal Constitution. “My father was a civil rights leader, but this reminds us that he was first and foremost, a pastor. Everything he did was influenced by the Bible.”
George Washington began the tradition of taking the oath of office with a Bible for his swearing-in on April 30, 1789, although there is no constitutional law that requires presidents to use Bibles during the swearing-in ceremony.
“I hope that the nation will use the moment not only to reflect on the responsibility we all have to serve, but also realize that the dream dad envisioned has not been fulfilled,” Martin King III told The Atlanta Journal Constitution. “I hope the nation is inspired.”
Indeed, the nation’s electorate seems inspired by the president’s leadership: Obama’s job approval rating is now at 52 percent, one of the highest ratings he’s had since becoming president, according to a study by the Pew Research Center.
Perhaps it’s also fortuitous that Obama, through a Bible, will call attention to King’s philosophy of non-violent change at a time when the president is overhauling gun control laws and taking intense criticism from the National Rifle Association.
“Our President is in many ways a living fulfillment of dreams Dr. King could only hope to see,” Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, (D-MD) said in a statement. “While his swearing-in will be an historic nod to how far our country has come, we must also realize that the struggle for government of, by and for all Americans is not over.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31