So, today I’m going to talk about my hometown, where I still have many family and friends.
Unfortunately, my hometown has recently been all over the news for all the wrong reasons. Steubenville, OH is the scene of the high-profile alleged rape involving members of the town’s popular high-school football team.
Needless to say, it’s been a rough couple of weeks for Steubenville. It all stems, from an August incident where a 16-year-old girl – allegedly incapacitated at a party – was allegedly raped twice, dragged naked and unconscious – between several locations.
After the girl and her mother later pieced together what they believe happened, they filed a complaint with the police. Rape charges were filed ten days later against two football players.
In early January, a 12-minute YouTube video was posted by the hacker group Anonymous showing another student laughing and making damning statements about the alleged victim and rape…and it went viral
For those who have seen this video, you already know how disgusting it is- no gray area, it was simply despicable.
That said, #1: As a lawyer, no matter how it appears right now because of initial reports or repulsive YouTube videos, it’s my duty to say ‘allow the law to take its course…’ and while I certainly recognize that sensitive situations like this can be mishandled by law enforcement and court officials –especially those with biased or political motives –
Steubenville officials will be held accountable if their actions corrupt the process, especially with the nation’s eyes on Steubenville, justice will be done.
#2: While we all have a right to be upset about the disgusting alleged actions involving some members of Big Red’s football team and the alleged victim, creating a ‘witch hunt’ atmosphere where all Steubenville residents are demonized by association is insanity.
And finally, though social media is an important part of the high-tech, low-privacy age we live in, social media is not our legal system. It can certainly impact our system of justice, but it’s not judge and jury, and verdicts should not be rendered in cyberspace or on YouTube.
So let’s keep our eyes on this troubling case and push for justice to prevail, but let’s not indict an entire town –a town I happen to know and love –for the alleged actions of a few, or for what some believe are its systemic problems because if your neighbor was accused of doing something horrible, you certainly wouldn’t want a nation of folks condemning you, your family, friends, school and hometown just because they lived close to you.
I’ll end with these fitting words from Eleanor Roosevelt who well knew that for the legal process to truly work, it should never be a one–way street:
“Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30