So, today I’m going to talk about my hometown, where I still have many family and friends.
Unfortunately, my hometown has recently been all over the news for all the wrong reasons. Steubenville, OH is the scene of the high-profile alleged rape involving members of the town’s popular high-school football team.
Needless to say, it’s been a rough couple of weeks for Steubenville. It all stems, from an August incident where a 16-year-old girl – allegedly incapacitated at a party – was allegedly raped twice, dragged naked and unconscious – between several locations.
After the girl and her mother later pieced together what they believe happened, they filed a complaint with the police. Rape charges were filed ten days later against two football players.
In early January, a 12-minute YouTube video was posted by the hacker group Anonymous showing another student laughing and making damning statements about the alleged victim and rape…and it went viral
For those who have seen this video, you already know how disgusting it is- no gray area, it was simply despicable.
That said, #1: As a lawyer, no matter how it appears right now because of initial reports or repulsive YouTube videos, it’s my duty to say ‘allow the law to take its course…’ and while I certainly recognize that sensitive situations like this can be mishandled by law enforcement and court officials –especially those with biased or political motives –
Steubenville officials will be held accountable if their actions corrupt the process, especially with the nation’s eyes on Steubenville, justice will be done.
#2: While we all have a right to be upset about the disgusting alleged actions involving some members of Big Red’s football team and the alleged victim, creating a ‘witch hunt’ atmosphere where all Steubenville residents are demonized by association is insanity.
And finally, though social media is an important part of the high-tech, low-privacy age we live in, social media is not our legal system. It can certainly impact our system of justice, but it’s not judge and jury, and verdicts should not be rendered in cyberspace or on YouTube.
So let’s keep our eyes on this troubling case and push for justice to prevail, but let’s not indict an entire town –a town I happen to know and love –for the alleged actions of a few, or for what some believe are its systemic problems because if your neighbor was accused of doing something horrible, you certainly wouldn’t want a nation of folks condemning you, your family, friends, school and hometown just because they lived close to you.
I’ll end with these fitting words from Eleanor Roosevelt who well knew that for the legal process to truly work, it should never be a one–way street:
“Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25