Boy, it didn’t take long for haters of “Django Unchained” to get cranked up, did it?
If I read between the lines correctly, some people were even hating the film BEFORE it was released on Christmas Day.
Enter author, television talk show host and commentator Tavis Smiley, who admits that he hasn’t seen the film. He still hates it though.
“I refuse to see it,” Smiley said in an interview with The Daily Beast. “I’m not going to pay to see it. But I’ve read the screenplay, and I have 25 family members and friends who have seen it, and have had thousands of conversations about this movie, so I can tell you frame by frame what happens.
“I’m troubled that Hollywood won’t get serious about making an authentic film about the holocaust of slavery but they will green light a spoof about slavery, and it’s as if this spoof about slavery somehow makes slavery a bit easier to swallow.”
In the words of that great American, George “Kingfish” Stevens, “well hold the phone, there, Tavis!”
Did we hear all this high-falutin’ talk from Smiley about the 1999 movie “Life”? Remember that one?
Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence were the stars. They played two clueless black men from the North that went south and ended up doing life terms in a joint that had to be based on Mississippi’s notorious, horrendous Parchman Prison Farm.
Treatment of black inmates at Parchman was so horrific, so nightmarish that it inspired a book calling the experience “Worse Than Slavery.” And what genre of movie was “Life”?
Why, a comedy, of course. Black folks went to see it in droves. And we laughed our hineys off at the comedic depiction of one of the most despicable episodes in African American history.
So Tavis, if you want to climb on that high horse about Hollywood only doing films that do a spoof of slavery, your starting point should be 14 years ago, in 1999, with “Life,” not with “Django Unchained.”
Hater number two on this list would be film director Spike Lee, who tweeted, ““American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust. My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them.”
I didn’t know Spike was still tweeting these days, not after his experience with Twitter last year. Remember that one?
Some character decided he wanted to show how “down with the brothers” he was by tweeting the address of George Zimmerman’s parents in Florida. Spike, always eager to be down with the brothers himself, re-tweeted the address to his followers.
But it wasn’t the correct address. The elderly couple that lived there weren’t the parents of the George Zimmerman charged with second-degree murder in the death of Trayvon Martin, but another George Zimmerman.
The elderly couple received so much harassment they had to move from their home. Spike ended up apologizing profusely.
Now he’s invoking the spirits of his ancestors – via Twitter – in dissing “Django Unchained.” A quick memo to Spike:
I’d be more inclined to take you seriously, brother, if you’d apologize to the Little family for virtually excluding them from your 1992 biopic of Malcolm X. When you do that, holla back at me.
Now we come to the final category of haters. OK, I don’t know if they’re haters, or just downright WEIRD. And notice that “weird” is in all caps.
One of the complaints about “Django Unchained” is that the “n” word is used over 100 times. The film critic for People magazine admitted that she counted 115 uses of the word, and then complained about its “gory violence.”
Earth to “Django Unchained” critics: it’s a QUENTIN TARANTINO film, people! If you went in expecting to see something along the lines of “Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm,” then YOU, not Tarantino, have the problem.
And who sits in a movie and counts how many times the “n” word – or any other word, for that matter – is used? People who have admitted doing this told me nothing about Tarantino, but they told me quite a bit about themselves.
I’ll just cut straight to the chase: THIS AIN’T NORMAL CONDUCT, PEOPLE! Please, get a life. Or, at the very least, get yourselves some much-needed therapy.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30