A Lady Gaga tune has come between Teddy Riley and his 21-year-old daughter Taja Riley.
Last week, in California federal court, Mr. Riley filed a lawsuit against Taja for claiming a songwriting credit and partial ownership of a song that he says he developed with Gaga – and that Taja had absolutely nothing to do with, notes The Hollywood Reporter.
According to the complaint, in September 2009, Lady Gaga (real name: Stefani Germanotta) shared with him her concept for a composition that was originally titled, “Show Me Your Teeth,” which ultimately made it onto her “Monster” album as the song “Teeth.” The music was written by Teddy Riley and lyrics came from Lady Gaga.
Riley says his daughter was “desirous of starting her own career in the music and entertainment business” and aware that her older sister Deja Riley had been “granted a gift of songwriting credit” by their father. Taja Riley allegedly wanted the same thing.
The lawsuit states that “after completion of the [“Teeth”] song, and its selection for inclusion as a track on Lady Gaga’s album, he and Taja had a discussion about whether he would be willing to similarly gift a songwriting credit to Taja Riley to assist her in starting her musical and entertainment career as well.”
The famed producer implies that he never came to such an understanding with his daughter. Afterwards, Taja Riley is said to have signed a deal with EMI Music Publishing and EMI Virgin Music and claimed co-writing credit and a 25 percent interest in “Teeth.”
The father says “the representations made by Taja Riley as to participation in the creation of the composition, authorship, and ownership are all false and untrue and that Defendant Taja Riley did not participate in any way in the creation of the composition, and did not own any rights whatsoever to The Song.”
He also blames EMI, whose publishing division was just sold to a consortium that includes Sony/ATV, for not contacting him to ascertain the truth.
So he’s now suing his daughter, EMI and Sony/ATV for copyright infringement, fraudulent copyright registration, unfair competition and accounting. He wants an enhanced award of statutory damages for willful infringement and an injunction.
Teddy and Taja Riley have a history of drama. In December 2009, he was accused of violently attacking Taja, then 18, with a guitar from the video game Rock Band. According to documents obtained by TMZ, Taja claimed that Teddy ” lifted a Rock Band guitar and threatened to kill person(s) w/ it.” Taja also claims she suffered “bashes to the temple, contusion on face and pain in knee.” She was granted a temporary restraining order against her dad for the incident and Teddy was ordered to stay 100 yards from his daughter.
Famous Family Feuds
1. Bobby Brown vs The Houston familySource:AP 1 of 13
2. The King Children have a history of feuding over their father's legacy- Now Martin Luther III and Dexter King are suing their sister Bernice King over the rights to their father's Nobel Peace Prize and Bible.2 of 13
3. Oprah Winfrey sparked a family feud with her stepmom after stepping in and purchasing her dad's barbershop for him. (AP)3 of 13
4. After the tragic death of Donna Summer, two of her three daughters fought over her $75M fortune. (Photo: AP)4 of 13
5. Halle Berry & Gabriel Aubry had a long drawnout feud over custody of their daughter Nahla. (Photo: AP)5 of 13
6. Eminem has had so many feuds but probably his most famous would be with his mother, Debbie. (Photo: AP)6 of 13
7. Chaka Khan fought & won custody of her granddaughter in 2011 due to her son & the child's mother being on drugs. (AP)7 of 13
8. Usher's little brother James Lackey and his baby mama feuded over money, she wanted more.8 of 13
9. Anna Nicole Smith & Pierce Marshall feuded for 15 years over her late husband & his dad's will. (Photo: AP)9 of 13
10. Demi Moore's daughters had it with her craziness at one point and they were considering taking out a TRO on their mom. (AP)10 of 13
11. Madonna's feud with her brother Christoper began after he released a detailed tell-all book about life with his sis.11 of 13
12. In 2012, Paris Jackson took to Twitter causing more drama & a feud with & between her dad's brothers & sisters. (Photo: AP)12 of 13
13. Crazy Jon & Kate plus eight feuding over money, custody and reality television shows. (AP)13 of 13