Great morning to everyone. In less than a week the eyes of the world will be on the United States as President Barrack Obama begins his second term while we simultaneously celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. But Tom, I’m worried that celebrating with the President may cast a shadow so large that we fail to work with the King.
It is in fact prophetic for President Obama to be ushered into office on Monday. It personifies the timeless lesson of sowing and reaping. There was a massive, decades long sowing process by men and women all over the nation to push voting rights, civil rights, and human rights, that opened doors to the generation of our President to go places previously unimagined. President Obama has been able to reap an opportunity that was created through the sowing of a movement. As we celebrate his Inauguration we can’t lose site of the fact that following the reaping celebration the people always went back to sowing. See if the people celebrated one harvest perpetually, they would be hungry come next. And beloved…. we are hungry. It is time to sow with the King that we would be able to see the manifestation of new Obamas (for he will not always be president). In the business sector, academia, in churches and in homes. And how do we do that. We sow…. we work…and where you say?
Lets work in local school boards and state legislative bodies to create the kind of education system that has STEM programs and advance placement courses opposite art and music classes in EVERY school. For as we flood the economy with those that can create and advance new high technology, we still need artists, philosophers, teachers, and preachers to advance our culture and society. Our economy won’t change if those working in it do not.
Lets also work to advance REAL movements. From Trayvon and stand your ground to Chicago and black on black violence we are more interested in days of service than movements for social change. Social change only happens with social movement. So whether its NAACP, Urban League, National Action Network, a local church, your frat or sorority be a part of a group of people moving to create change vs. just talking about the need for it.
Finally know that being politically engaged is about more than electing a President. Work with him, challenge him, vote in local and midterm elections and write checks to candidates you support. Run for office young and committed people. Change the face of politics and you can change its results.
This Monday attend and embrace the celebrations of both men. But know when I say don’t miss working with the King; I’m not talking about MLK. I mean don’t miss the calling on our community from a God that has seen us overcome every challenge the enemy has ever sent.
It is that King that sent both Martin, and Barrack (the men) to earth for such a time in which they served. And now is our time to use our King given gifts to change a world in need. That’s what the President is living to do, and what King died doing.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25