Great morning to everyone. In less than a week the eyes of the world will be on the United States as President Barrack Obama begins his second term while we simultaneously celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. But Tom, I’m worried that celebrating with the President may cast a shadow so large that we fail to work with the King.
It is in fact prophetic for President Obama to be ushered into office on Monday. It personifies the timeless lesson of sowing and reaping. There was a massive, decades long sowing process by men and women all over the nation to push voting rights, civil rights, and human rights, that opened doors to the generation of our President to go places previously unimagined. President Obama has been able to reap an opportunity that was created through the sowing of a movement. As we celebrate his Inauguration we can’t lose site of the fact that following the reaping celebration the people always went back to sowing. See if the people celebrated one harvest perpetually, they would be hungry come next. And beloved…. we are hungry. It is time to sow with the King that we would be able to see the manifestation of new Obamas (for he will not always be president). In the business sector, academia, in churches and in homes. And how do we do that. We sow…. we work…and where you say?
Lets work in local school boards and state legislative bodies to create the kind of education system that has STEM programs and advance placement courses opposite art and music classes in EVERY school. For as we flood the economy with those that can create and advance new high technology, we still need artists, philosophers, teachers, and preachers to advance our culture and society. Our economy won’t change if those working in it do not.
Lets also work to advance REAL movements. From Trayvon and stand your ground to Chicago and black on black violence we are more interested in days of service than movements for social change. Social change only happens with social movement. So whether its NAACP, Urban League, National Action Network, a local church, your frat or sorority be a part of a group of people moving to create change vs. just talking about the need for it.
Finally know that being politically engaged is about more than electing a President. Work with him, challenge him, vote in local and midterm elections and write checks to candidates you support. Run for office young and committed people. Change the face of politics and you can change its results.
This Monday attend and embrace the celebrations of both men. But know when I say don’t miss working with the King; I’m not talking about MLK. I mean don’t miss the calling on our community from a God that has seen us overcome every challenge the enemy has ever sent.
It is that King that sent both Martin, and Barrack (the men) to earth for such a time in which they served. And now is our time to use our King given gifts to change a world in need. That’s what the President is living to do, and what King died doing.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30