Great morning to everyone. In less than a week the eyes of the world will be on the United States as President Barrack Obama begins his second term while we simultaneously celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. But Tom, I’m worried that celebrating with the President may cast a shadow so large that we fail to work with the King.
It is in fact prophetic for President Obama to be ushered into office on Monday. It personifies the timeless lesson of sowing and reaping. There was a massive, decades long sowing process by men and women all over the nation to push voting rights, civil rights, and human rights, that opened doors to the generation of our President to go places previously unimagined. President Obama has been able to reap an opportunity that was created through the sowing of a movement. As we celebrate his Inauguration we can’t lose site of the fact that following the reaping celebration the people always went back to sowing. See if the people celebrated one harvest perpetually, they would be hungry come next. And beloved…. we are hungry. It is time to sow with the King that we would be able to see the manifestation of new Obamas (for he will not always be president). In the business sector, academia, in churches and in homes. And how do we do that. We sow…. we work…and where you say?
Lets work in local school boards and state legislative bodies to create the kind of education system that has STEM programs and advance placement courses opposite art and music classes in EVERY school. For as we flood the economy with those that can create and advance new high technology, we still need artists, philosophers, teachers, and preachers to advance our culture and society. Our economy won’t change if those working in it do not.
Lets also work to advance REAL movements. From Trayvon and stand your ground to Chicago and black on black violence we are more interested in days of service than movements for social change. Social change only happens with social movement. So whether its NAACP, Urban League, National Action Network, a local church, your frat or sorority be a part of a group of people moving to create change vs. just talking about the need for it.
Finally know that being politically engaged is about more than electing a President. Work with him, challenge him, vote in local and midterm elections and write checks to candidates you support. Run for office young and committed people. Change the face of politics and you can change its results.
This Monday attend and embrace the celebrations of both men. But know when I say don’t miss working with the King; I’m not talking about MLK. I mean don’t miss the calling on our community from a God that has seen us overcome every challenge the enemy has ever sent.
It is that King that sent both Martin, and Barrack (the men) to earth for such a time in which they served. And now is our time to use our King given gifts to change a world in need. That’s what the President is living to do, and what King died doing.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31