“Let’s take a long walk around the park after dark. Find a spot for us to spark conversation, verbal elation, stimulation. Share our situations, temptations, education, relaxations. Elevations, maybe baby, maybe we can save the nation. Come on, Come on …” – Jill Scott “A Long Walk”
Lyrically, Jill Scott does what I like to call “mental masturbation” with her play on words, all the while taking us on a musical journey that feels and sounds so good. That is what I hope this book ultimately does for you. I want you to reach that hot spot in your life. You know that place when you know you’re in a good space and living it up in all the ways that count. Finally, it is your time to get yours.
Foreplay is intimate preparation and stimulation that precedes your reaching that special place. Verbally, foreplay may include compliments, and intimate conversations. Non-verbally, foreplay can include kissing, touching, standing inside someone’s personal space or holding a long gaze. Simply, it can be a connection, an understanding, it’s a vibe. Foreplay is the planning, the anticipating, the actions and the effort you put into something before the big pay-off. As syndicated radio host and Radio Hall of Famer Tom Joyner says, “You got to put the work in.” He usually says this in the context of producing relevant and creative work. But the principle applies across the board. Basically, you have to prepare before you can get to the good part – the recognition, the accolades, the awards, and the money.
Nobody knows what the big payoff is for you better than you. You must then be tuned into and in touch with the deepest part of yourself. How tuned in are you about what you really want? Let me illustrate with pop culture. Many of us tune in and watch reality TV on a daily basis because we like watching other people’s drama. Regardless of your opinion about the content on reality TV; the reality check is that those “real people” that we watch are, in many ways, living their dreams out loud in front of our faces. They are on TV, online, building their own brands and getting paid well for it. And whether we are entertained immensely or shaking our heads with dismay, the fact remains that millions not only tune in but when the show is over, they are discussing what went down, play by play on the phone, or even at work the next day. In the meantime, these personalities are putting in the work and are cashing in all the way to the bank.
Of course, I’m not minimizing your life to reality TV, but I do want you to tune into your world and have a reality check. How does it look, and why are you doing what you do? These answers will reveal your motives and will make it clear how much you’re willing to work to reach your intended goals – love, family, education, professional growth, respect, comfort, security or all of the above. Any good reporter will tell you that knowing how to ask the right things at the right times can lead to a major scoop. What’s the scoop on you? Be bold and ask yourself the tough questions: Who am I at my core? What do I really want to do? Am I fully committed to it, and for the right reasons? Or do I just want the results of what I think it can bring me? What am I willing to do to achieve it? Go ahead. Take that self-examination. Whisper in your own ear; the answers to those queries will be the mirror that reflects your reality and help clarify what’s hindering you.
Deya “Direct” Smith, is a producer on the Tom Joyner Morning Show and host of Girlfriend FM & Beyond the Studio celebrity interviews. She is also the author of Touch Yourself, 30 Ways to Live, Love and Let Go (www.touchmebooks.com)! Deya is a life-style and inspirational speaker.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30