WASHINGTON (AP) — The nation’s capital is swarmed with women wearing crimson and cream, as one of the country’s largest African-American sororities gathered to celebrate 100 years of sisterhood.
More than 12,000 members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. convened to mark the organization’s centennial this weekend with activities including community service, a rededication and an awards ceremony.
“We want people to understand that we are still called to serve,” said Gwendolyn Boyd, chair of the sorority’s centennial events. “When we gather, we gather not to just socialize, but also to render service in every community.”
Members from across the country participated in 22 projects throughout the District of Columbia on Friday in honor of their 22 founders.
Boyd said the sorority was also using the weekend to thank those who have collaborated with them in service. They also held a rededication luncheon and gala on Saturday that was emceed by actors Tim Reid and Daphne Maxwell Reid.
The gala honored members, organizations and individuals who represent the sorority’s mantra, including the Rev. Jesse Jackson; Johnetta B. Cole, the director of the National Museum of African Art; comedian Bill Cosby and his wife, Camille; former U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young; syndicated radio host Tom Joyner; and U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin. It also honored: the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the National Urban League and the National Council of Negro Women.
The festivities culminated on Sunday, the sorority’s centennial, with a black-tie dinner with guest honoree General Electric CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt.
The weekend celebration was a part of series of centennial year events for the sorority. In March, the Deltas will re-enact the Woman Suffrage Parade of 1913, in which their founders participated. The sorority will gather in Washington again in July for its national convention.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. was founded on Jan. 13, 1913, on the campus of Howard University. The sorority has more than 250,000 members and more than 900 chapters.
Members have included activists Mary McLeod Bethune and Dorothy Height and congresswomen Shirley Chisholm and Barbara Jordan. Other notable members include poet Nikki Giovanni, journalists Gwen Ifill and Soledad O’ Brien, singers Aretha Franklin, Lena Horne, Leontyne Price and Roberta Flack, and actresses Cicely Tyson and Ruby Dee.
President Barack Obama reportedly sent a special message to the sorority thanking for their years of service. The White house was also lit up in red to honor the sorority. See an image from inside the event posted by a guest below.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!