Highlights: Subaru offers a version of the F-RS. FR-S stands for front engine, rear-wheel drive and sport.
Test vehicle’s MSRP: $26,055
Seating Capacity: 2+2
Standard Safety Features: airbags (front and side); ABS; electronic brake distribution; Traction Control; a vehicle stability control system; daytime running lights; a tire pressure monitoring system
Standard Equipment: 17-inch wheels; manual operated seats; cloth seats; manual controlled a/c; aluminum sport pedals and scuff plates; tilt and telescopic steering wheel; keyless remote for the doors and trunk; chrome-tipped dual exhaust; power windows; power door locks; and cruise control
Standard Audio: 8-speaker, 160-watt Pioneer AM/FM/CD/HD
Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty: 3 years or 36,000 miles
Powertrain Warranty: 5 years or 60,000 miles
iPod Connectivity: Yes
Bluetooth Connectivity: Yes
Standard Engine/Horsepower: 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder/200-hp
Recommended Fuel: Premium
Standard Fuel Mileage: 25-city/34-hwy
What’s New: The FR-S, which is all-new to the Scion line up, is the brand’s first rear-wheel drive vehicle.
Seat Comfort/Support: Very Good
Pros: The all-new FR-S is a pure, no nonsense sports car. Unlike most of today’s high-tech vehicles, this one isn’t. It’s just a true economically priced sports car. Now while most of today’s vehicles are being optioned out with an array of available features to over compensate for what they may be lacking, the FR-S has managed to remain pure. By ‘pure’ we mean no back-up camera, blind spot protection, satellite radio, automatic day/night mirror or navigation system is available in this pocket rocket.
And although the FR-S has only been around for just a few months, it has easily become Scion’s halo vehicle. In fact, Scion’s first high-performance sports car is available in one trim level, with either a manual or an automatic transmission. The sculpted free flowing lines of the sporty exterior design could easily wear a Lexus badge. So Scion buyers are definitely getting a lot of bang for the buck.
Overall the rear wheel drive FR-S is the perfect size for a sports car. The FR-S has excellent road manners; it’s nimble and handles well, too. The 200-horsepower engine, which is packed underneath the hood of this rear wheel drive vehicle, easily zooms from 0 to 60-mph in less than 5 seconds.
Cons: Although Scion categorizes the FR-S as a 2+2 seater, there is no way anyone will be able to fit into the rear. In fact, the rear folding down seat is better suited for additional storage. And unlike its sibling the Subaru BRZ, the vehicle lacks a navigation system, a rear spoiler, a push-button keyless starter or a satellite radio.
Also, Scion does not offer a sunroof in this vehicle probably due to structural soundness. However, we wouldn’t mind if the engineers incorporate a manual pop-up sunroof.
The Verdict: The FR-S easily reminds of what a true sports car is without being outfitted with the latest high-tech gadgets. And yes, because of the spirited drive the rear wheel drive vehicle affords one, the only item we really miss is the satellite radio just due to the limited choices from terrestrial radio. Overall, we would buy this well-built, super nimble pocket rocket over any other sports car on the market, if limited to a budget. In our eyes, this is an affordable alternative to the Corvette, Porsche and 370 Z. In fact, this Scion gives both Toyota and Lexus, the fun factor that their line up has been missing for years!
Competition: Hyundai Genesis; Hyundai Veloster and Subaru BR-Z
Jeff Fortson is an auto analyst and editor of a car-buying website for women and minorities. To learn more about his popular car-buying workshop and/or to price a new-vehicle, drive on over to JeffCars.com. Follow him http://twitter.com/#!/JeffCars/.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30