Stressing “kindness creates kindness, generosity creates generosity and love creates love”, a 51-year-old California law school professor has turned over the keys of his own home to a struggling, single mother of four in hopes his act of selflessness will put the family on a path toward a more secure and stable life of their own.
For the next year and at no cost, Felicia Dukes and her children will take up residency and have sole possession of Tony Tolbert’s abode and all its modest furnishings. Tolbert, meanwhile, plans to move back in with his mother and back into the same bedroom where he was taught the very values now moving him to act as such.
“You don’t have to be a billionaire to do something good for someone else,” the Harvard-educated Tolbert who now teaches at UCLA’s School of Law told CBS News. “You don’t have to be Bill Gates or Warren Buffett or Oprah. We can do it wherever we are, with whatever we have and for me, I have a home that I can make available.”
Beyond such heartfelt reasoning, Tolbert characterizes his act of civility as a gracious ode to his father, a once well-known entertainment lawyer and a man his son recalls always seemed to have room in his home and space in his heart for the downtrodden. Tolbert insists he can’t recall a single time during his childhood when there wasn’t some non-related person living in the family’s spare bedroom.
“It planted the seed that that’s something you do,” he still reflects. “You take care of other people who are in a position where help is needed. If I say I’m generous… then I should be generous.”
Enter Felicia Dukes and family, whom Tolbert had never met before mercifully opening the doors of his home to them. Prior to that, Dukes and her three youngest children lived in a single occupancy residence at Alexandria House, a shelter which offers such services for women and children only. Thus, during their most grueling ordeal, Duke’s oldest, adult son was not even able to continue residing with the family.
“I got a call they (Alexandria) had a young man that wanted to donate his house for a year,” Dukes recalls. “I’m looking like, What? Are you serious?
Indeed they were, and so was Tony Tolbert, whom the family now reveres as a touched spirit who has utterly given the family a new lease on life.
“My heart just fills up and stuff,” said a teary-eyed Dukes, who officially moved in with her children during the last week of December. “Um … I’m just really happy.” After considering several local facilities through which to find a family, Tolbert settled on Alexandria House after learning of its mission and being impressed with some of the added services its counselors provide for their clients.
Meanwhile, Marie Tolbert has come to expect no less acts of humanity on the part of her only son. “He is so giving, and he’s always been that way,” she said. Again, Tolbert reserves and steers all praise in the direction of his father, Jimmy, who now suffers from Alzheimer’s disease and resides in a nearby nursing home.
No doubt, however, Jimmy Tolbert would be moved to know his son still carries with him some of the most germane and valuable life lessons he ever strived to share with him.
“I think if we can share more stories about people doing nice things for other people, and fewer stories about people doing horrible things to other people, that’s a better world,” said Tolbert, who also recently began studying Tibetan Buddhism.
“A big fundamental concept of Buddhism is creating karma by doing good,” he said. Clearly, that’s not just a theory in the world of Tony Tolbert. No question, he’s internalized and taken all the principles to heart.
Glenn Minnis is a NYC-based sports and culture writer. Follow him on Twitter at @glennnyc.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30