You may not know Martha Wash, but you definitely know her voice.
If you are familiar with “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now),” “It’s Raining Men!” and “Carry On”– either the original versions, club mixes or snippets in commercials – you know the powerhouse voice of the woman once known as The Queen of Clubland.
Well, the woman who earned eight No. 1 hits and another eight Top 10 hits on various Billboard Charts is releasing “Something Good,” her first album with all new material in nearly 20 years.
“I’m trying to move my career forward,” Wash said in a statement about why she went back to the studio. “I’ve been working all along, but people weren’t really seeing me unless they were coming to my shows. People know the music, but they need to see me.”
Wash cautioned, though, that “Something Good” shouldn’t be considered a comeback project. “Where have I been? I’ve been right here—working!”
Wash is an internationally-known artist and headliner, performing recently at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, where she performed a tribute to dance music at the request of Nile Rogers, Quincy Jones, and founder Claude Nobs.
She started with Izora Armstead, singing background for Sylvester under the name Two Tons O’ Fun. Together, their dynamic, soulful voices can be heard on his signature song, “You Make Me Feel Mighty Real.” Eventually Wash and Armstead released their own recordings, including three Top 5 Billboard dance singles, “I Got the Feeling,” “Earth Can Be Just Like Heaven” and “Just Us.”
In 1982, they became The Weather Girls “It’s Raining Men” became a Grammy nominated hit. “Something Good” comes on the heels of the 30th anniversary of “It’s Raining Men.” Interestingly enough, Barbra Streisand, Donna Summer, Cher, and Diana Ross all passed on the song co-written by Paul Shaffer, band leader for “The Late Show with David Letterman.”
In 1984, The Weather Girls lent their voices to Rebbie Jackson’s hit, “Centipede.” By the late ‘80s, they went their separate ways, and Wash launched her career as a solo artist.
Although best known for dance music, Wash said she decided to take some chances with “Something Good,” which focuses on pop/adult contemporary songs. The first single is the beautiful ballad “I’ve Got You,” which was written by Rony Goffer and Zach Adam, winner of the Billboard Songwriting Contest Pop Award.
“I’m just spreading my wings more and moving in another direction,” Wash said. “As long as you live you’re going to get a little older,” Wash says. “Are you going to keep doing the same things you were doing in your twenties when you get into your 50s? It’s about advancing and moving on.”
Wash also is known for standing her ground, legally.
She sang the lead vocals on C&C Music Factory’s 1991 No. 1 hit, “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now.)” In the accompanying music video, however, her vocals seemed to come out of the mouth of the group’s slender lead singer’s mouth. The heavier Wash was deemed unmarketable because of her size. Wash also wasn’t given proper credit and compensation on vocals she did for Black Box’s album, including Top 10 songs, “Everybody Everybody” and “Strike It Up, and Seduction’s “You’re My One and Only (True Love.)”
The songstress filed a lawsuit and won and her successful fight led to changes that make it mandatory for artists to receive accurate credits on albums and music videos.
Wash said she hopes the eight songs from “Something Good,” which she calls empowering, will inspire others to find their inner strength.
“Whatever song they listen to, I hope they get something positive out of it. I want them to think about themselves and about helping others,” she says.
Sample a taste of “Something Good” or visit her page on Facebook.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31