You may not know Martha Wash, but you definitely know her voice.
If you are familiar with “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now),” “It’s Raining Men!” and “Carry On”– either the original versions, club mixes or snippets in commercials – you know the powerhouse voice of the woman once known as The Queen of Clubland.
Well, the woman who earned eight No. 1 hits and another eight Top 10 hits on various Billboard Charts is releasing “Something Good,” her first album with all new material in nearly 20 years.
“I’m trying to move my career forward,” Wash said in a statement about why she went back to the studio. “I’ve been working all along, but people weren’t really seeing me unless they were coming to my shows. People know the music, but they need to see me.”
Wash cautioned, though, that “Something Good” shouldn’t be considered a comeback project. “Where have I been? I’ve been right here—working!”
Wash is an internationally-known artist and headliner, performing recently at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, where she performed a tribute to dance music at the request of Nile Rogers, Quincy Jones, and founder Claude Nobs.
She started with Izora Armstead, singing background for Sylvester under the name Two Tons O’ Fun. Together, their dynamic, soulful voices can be heard on his signature song, “You Make Me Feel Mighty Real.” Eventually Wash and Armstead released their own recordings, including three Top 5 Billboard dance singles, “I Got the Feeling,” “Earth Can Be Just Like Heaven” and “Just Us.”
In 1982, they became The Weather Girls “It’s Raining Men” became a Grammy nominated hit. “Something Good” comes on the heels of the 30th anniversary of “It’s Raining Men.” Interestingly enough, Barbra Streisand, Donna Summer, Cher, and Diana Ross all passed on the song co-written by Paul Shaffer, band leader for “The Late Show with David Letterman.”
In 1984, The Weather Girls lent their voices to Rebbie Jackson’s hit, “Centipede.” By the late ‘80s, they went their separate ways, and Wash launched her career as a solo artist.
Although best known for dance music, Wash said she decided to take some chances with “Something Good,” which focuses on pop/adult contemporary songs. The first single is the beautiful ballad “I’ve Got You,” which was written by Rony Goffer and Zach Adam, winner of the Billboard Songwriting Contest Pop Award.
“I’m just spreading my wings more and moving in another direction,” Wash said. “As long as you live you’re going to get a little older,” Wash says. “Are you going to keep doing the same things you were doing in your twenties when you get into your 50s? It’s about advancing and moving on.”
Wash also is known for standing her ground, legally.
She sang the lead vocals on C&C Music Factory’s 1991 No. 1 hit, “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now.)” In the accompanying music video, however, her vocals seemed to come out of the mouth of the group’s slender lead singer’s mouth. The heavier Wash was deemed unmarketable because of her size. Wash also wasn’t given proper credit and compensation on vocals she did for Black Box’s album, including Top 10 songs, “Everybody Everybody” and “Strike It Up, and Seduction’s “You’re My One and Only (True Love.)”
The songstress filed a lawsuit and won and her successful fight led to changes that make it mandatory for artists to receive accurate credits on albums and music videos.
Wash said she hopes the eight songs from “Something Good,” which she calls empowering, will inspire others to find their inner strength.
“Whatever song they listen to, I hope they get something positive out of it. I want them to think about themselves and about helping others,” she says.
Sample a taste of “Something Good” or visit her page on Facebook.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30