DETROIT (AP) — A high-ranking aide to former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick told jurors Monday that he picked up thousands of dollars in bribes for his boss from a contractor at the city’s convention center where both men had broad powers over operations.
Derrick Miller, who was Detroit’s chief administrative officer, said he collected thousands of dollars “once or twice,” typically in stacks of hundred-dollar bills, for Kilpatrick, whom he has known since high school. Miller said he also took his own payoffs from Karl Kado, who held contracts at Cobo Center during Kilpatrick’s nearly seven years in office.
“I picked it up from Kado, took it to (Kilpatrick). … I didn’t count it but it was a lot of money. Five (thousand) to 10,000,” said Miller, whose testimony matched what Kado said earlier in the trial.
Miller’s testimony is important for prosecutors trying to prove that Kilpatrick, his father Bernard and pal Bobby Ferguson spent years rigging contracts and taking payoffs. Miller was a defendant in the case until 2011, when he pleaded guilty to taking bribes and committing tax crimes and agreed to help the government.
Kilpatrick at times grinned, shook his head, consulted with his lawyer and took many notes while Miller, nicknamed “Zeke,” answered questions from Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark Chutkow.
Miller met Kilpatrick in a ninth-grade English class and later worked on his staff at the state Legislature. He helped hatch Kilpatrick’s first run for mayor in 2001 and held senior roles at city hall.
As chief administrative officer, Miller had authority over Cobo Center, its director and contractors. Cobo now is run by a regional board and no longer is solely in the hands of city government.
“It was wrong to take cash from a contractor I was responsible for overseeing,” Miller said of his own illegal payments.
Monday was the 49th day of Kilpatrick’s trial.
Earlier, prosecutors displayed checks on a screen to reinforce allegations of illegal spending from Kilpatrick’s Civic Fund, which was promoted as a nonprofit fund to help the community. Checks from the fund paid for golf clubs, yoga, an $8,600 stay at a resort and political polling. Miller signed many of them.
Miller said Kilpatrick lied when he said at a 2001 debate that Civic Fund money wasn’t used by the campaign. When a TV station learned about the trip to a resort in Carlsbad, Calif., Kilpatrick told his aides that he was there to raise money for the fund, but that wasn’t true either, Miller said.
“He basically had to come up with some kind of response,” Miller testified.
Miller pleaded guilty in 2011, admitting he accepted $115,000 from a real estate broker in connection with the lease or sale of city properties and $10,000 from a contractor at Cobo Center, a convention hall. Miller has yet to be sentenced, but his cooperation could help him avoid a maximum punishment of 10 years in prison.
Kilpatrick, a Democrat whose mother is former U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, was elected mayor in 2001. He resigned in 2008 and pleaded guilty to obstructing justice by lying in a civil case about having sex with an aide. He subsequently served 14 months in prison for violating his probation in that case.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30