Every year, we are bombarded with “Year in Review” headlines. The best dressed, the top songs, and most fascinating people of the year. But I like to do my own “Year in Review,” a self-reflective recap that helps me start of the New Year richer in wisdom. Whether you view the experiences you’ve had over the last year as good or bad, each one offers an opportunity to head into the New Year better prepared than ever to live wisely and be resilient. Here’s what I learned. How about you?
1. Patience is relaxing.
From the moment I entered kindergarten a year early, I’ve always been on the fast track. I put a high value on doing things fast. Whether it was squeezing too much into my schedule, finishing college in three years or exceeding the speed limit, I always rushed towards a proverbial finish line. But this year, I sensed in my spirit a major shift. I learned this year that patience isn’t just a virtue is a more relaxing approach to life. Whether you are trying to figure if a relationship is right for you or whether it’s time to change careers, the answers don’t always come quickly. Be OK with that. Trust that divine timing is often not your timing – but it is perfect timing. Rather than rush, rest. Enjoy the journey.
2. Love is action.
True love is action – it’s what you do because you decide to love a person unconditionally. It is not always easy, but it allows you the stability of knowing where you stand – independent of what the other person does. Of course, sometimes love means making tough choices in a loving way – choices that empower you to love yourself. That’s good, too. Loving yourself is the best way to attract the kind of love you really want and deserve.
3. The key to success is sticking with it.
This year was our business’ best year yet. In nearly 12 years of business, there have been times when I was tempted to give up, get a job, or doubt my path. But I never acted on those temptations. Deep down, I know I am called to this work. It is a part of who I am. So whatever it required, I’ve stuck with it. Thank goodness. I can’t imagine doing anything else than inspiring you to get unstuck, be unstoppable and live the fulfilling life you were called to live.
4. Happiness is embracing what is and saying, “Thank you for this life of mine.”
I know you have goals. In fact, as humans we can’t be happy without goals. We need something to aim for. But while we are aiming – during that period in the meantime when we haven’t quite obtained what we want – there is a lesson being offered. It is a gift. It is the chance to learn to be happy “while,” not just happy “when.” Happy while you wait. Not just happy when you arrive. When you master that, you discover the key to contentment. Embrace what is. And find reasons to be grateful right where you are.
My challenge to you: Start this year richer than you were a year ago. Reflect on the wisdom you’ve gained over the last 12 months. What have you learned in the last 12 months? How will you apply those lessons in the New Year?
Valorie Burton (www.valorieburton.com) helps people get unstuck so they can be unstoppable. She is the author of multiple bestsellers, including Successful Women Think Differently and Your 5-Minute Personal Coach Follow her on Twitter @valorieburton and Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/valorieburtonfanpage. email@example.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31