Well 2013 is here and I’m expecting it to be a year of growth, of change, of new and positive developments in all areas of life and that’s why I want to express my profound disappointment at the news that the Oxygen network is planning to air a new reality show called “All My Babies’ Mamas…”
Yep, “All My Babies’ Mamas…” a program centered around Atlanta native and rapper, Carlos “Shawty Lo” Walker, and the eleven― count’em eleven ―children he conceived with 10 women.
And no, that was not a mistake. I did say eleven children by ten different women, but wait, there’s more.
The Oxygen channel show, which reportedly has the ‘Babies Mamas’ fighting and begging for financial support and sexual reward, will co-star with the 36 year old rapper’s new girlfriend who happens to be 19-years-old.That’s the same age as one of Shawty Lo’s children on the show.
Forgive me, but I’m actually speechless, maybe I should just end here and try again in 2014 to see if our media images are any better.
Because, in 2013, when it comes to black media images we are still, for the most part, trapped in a stereotypical time warp where black males are either incarcerated, total buffoons, or procreate like it’s going out of style, while our females are greedy, promiscuous, male-bashing and smack-talkin’ opportunists.
You’ve heard the expression, “Gone with the old, in with the new…?” Well, this type of neo-Sambo programming should have been left back a long time ago.
We have an African American president and countless black politicians, scientists and representatives in top positions throughout corporate, academic and other arenas, and yet we are greeted in 2013 with Shawty Lo’s All My Babies’ Mamas.
Unacceptable, plain and simple. You see, for a lot of folks, “Seeing is believing…” and if you repeatedly condition someone’s mind with negative and destructive images of themselves― especially young folks still searching for their identities― you are largely programming their perception of what is real, and their aspirations for what they can achieve.
So, in this New Year, let’s lose the drama. You can go to change .org to sign a petition to boycott All My Babies’ Mamas by doing a search there for ‘Cancel Shawty…’ and yes, Shawty is being spelled S-H-A-W-T-Y or you can go to Oxygen.com and hit ‘Contact Us’ to communicate your dissatisfaction with this decision.
I’ll leave you with this from Beat Generation poet Allen Ginsberg:
“Whoever controls the media and the images, controls the culture.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31