Well 2013 is here and I’m expecting it to be a year of growth, of change, of new and positive developments in all areas of life and that’s why I want to express my profound disappointment at the news that the Oxygen network is planning to air a new reality show called “All My Babies’ Mamas…”
Yep, “All My Babies’ Mamas…” a program centered around Atlanta native and rapper, Carlos “Shawty Lo” Walker, and the eleven― count’em eleven ―children he conceived with 10 women.
And no, that was not a mistake. I did say eleven children by ten different women, but wait, there’s more.
The Oxygen channel show, which reportedly has the ‘Babies Mamas’ fighting and begging for financial support and sexual reward, will co-star with the 36 year old rapper’s new girlfriend who happens to be 19-years-old.That’s the same age as one of Shawty Lo’s children on the show.
Forgive me, but I’m actually speechless, maybe I should just end here and try again in 2014 to see if our media images are any better.
Because, in 2013, when it comes to black media images we are still, for the most part, trapped in a stereotypical time warp where black males are either incarcerated, total buffoons, or procreate like it’s going out of style, while our females are greedy, promiscuous, male-bashing and smack-talkin’ opportunists.
You’ve heard the expression, “Gone with the old, in with the new…?” Well, this type of neo-Sambo programming should have been left back a long time ago.
We have an African American president and countless black politicians, scientists and representatives in top positions throughout corporate, academic and other arenas, and yet we are greeted in 2013 with Shawty Lo’s All My Babies’ Mamas.
Unacceptable, plain and simple. You see, for a lot of folks, “Seeing is believing…” and if you repeatedly condition someone’s mind with negative and destructive images of themselves― especially young folks still searching for their identities― you are largely programming their perception of what is real, and their aspirations for what they can achieve.
So, in this New Year, let’s lose the drama. You can go to change .org to sign a petition to boycott All My Babies’ Mamas by doing a search there for ‘Cancel Shawty…’ and yes, Shawty is being spelled S-H-A-W-T-Y or you can go to Oxygen.com and hit ‘Contact Us’ to communicate your dissatisfaction with this decision.
I’ll leave you with this from Beat Generation poet Allen Ginsberg:
“Whoever controls the media and the images, controls the culture.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25