Wisconsin State Senator Glenn Grothman actually composed and sent out a press release calling for an end to the African American holiday, Kwanzaa.
He asks in a press release:
“Why must we still hear about Kwanzaa? Why are hard-core left wingers still trying to talk about Kwanzaa – the supposed African-American holiday celebration between Christmas and New Year’s?”
Characterizing Kwanzaa as a fake holiday conjured up by a rascist professor and perpetuated by hard-core liberals, Grothman goes on to say Kwanzaa was put forth to separate Americans. The senator continues,
“Of course, almost no black people today care about Kwanzaa – just white left-wingers who try to shove this down black people’s throats in an effort to divide Americans,” Grothman said.
“Irresponsible public school districts such as Green Bay and Madison … try to tell a new generation that blacks have a separate holiday than Christians,” says Grothman; who adds Karenga “didn’t like the idea that Christ died for all of our sins, so he felt blacks should have their own holiday – hence, Kwanzaa.”
“With tens of millions of honorable black Americans in our country’s past, we should not let a violent nut like Karenga speak for them,” he said.
Grothman, whose district includes most of Ozaukee County, including Port Washington and Saukville, received national attention earlier this year when he proposed legislation that listed single parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse.
Needless to say, the contents of his press release caused outrage and a flurry of critism, the message below calls for an immediate retraction from the treasurer of the Ozaukee Democratic Party.
“Senator Grothman seems to outdo himself every time he opens his mouth,” said Meg Moen, treasurer of the county Democratic Party. “His recent press release about Kwanzaa was absolutely jaw-dropping. Not only does Senator Grothman seem to find his inherit racism acceptable, he implores people to follow his lead and question a holiday that African-Americans have been celebrating for years. “He, as usual, blames progressives and teachers, for respecting all traditions, and having the audacity to include every holiday and tradition that occurs around this time every year,” Moen added. “That press release is absolutely disgusting and drips with disdain for African-Americans and, therefore, I am calling on him to retract his statements.”
State Sen. Lena Taylor, an African-American lawmaker from Milwaukee, couldn’t be reached for comment on Monday. But she said the seven days of Kwanzaa bring with it the principle of “Umoja,” the Swahili term for unity, in an editorial printed in the Milwaukee Courier on Dec. 29.
Kwanzaa is an African American holiday created by Dr. Maulana Karenga, a professor and chair of Africana studis at California State University, Long Beach. The holiday was first celebrated in 1967. The weeklong cultural celebration takes place December 26 through January 1st and celebrates the 7 principles of the Nguzo Saba: Umoja (Unity), Kujichagulia (Self determination), Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility), Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics), Nia (Purpose), Kuumba (Creativity), Imani (Faith). Click here to learn more about this African American holiday from the Official Kwanzaa website.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
23 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 23
2. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
2 of 23
3. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
3 of 23
4. Jus haaaanngin out
4 of 23
5. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
5 of 23
6. new new
6 of 23
7. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
7 of 23
8. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
8 of 23
9. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
9 of 23
10. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
10 of 23
11. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
11 of 23
12. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
12 of 23
13. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
13 of 23
14. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
14 of 23
15. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
15 of 23
16. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
16 of 23
17. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
17 of 23
18. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
18 of 23
19. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
19 of 23
20. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
20 of 23
21. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
21 of 23
22. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
22 of 23
23. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
23 of 23