According to a new report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the number of HIV infections among African-Americans has declined in recent years.
However, the study found that the number of infections among young gay men has increased.
The study, published online in the CDC’s HIV Supplemental Surveillance Report, found that the number of people infected with HIV has remained steady over the past decade with approximately 50,000 people diagnosed per year. In 2010, nearly 47, 500 people were infected with the disease.
Although the numbers of black women diagnosed with HIV remain high, the data shows that the number of new infections decreased by 21 percent.
The CDC believes that the new findings can be attributed to the success of public HIV campaigns bringing awareness to the disease and prevention.
But experts find that further research is necessary to determine if the decrease among Black woman will become a long-term trend.
Unfortunately, the number of infected young gay males does not show the same progress.
Between 2008 and 2010, the number of infected gay, bisexual men between the ages of 13-24 increased by 22 percent.
David Pohl, the director of HIV/STI Prevention at Howard Brown Health Center believes that factors such as unawareness and difficulty getting tested that are responsible for the prevalence of the infection among men who sleep with men. He also said that many men have a hard time receiving antiretroviral treatment.
“The honest truth is that some communities are kind of set up to fail,” Pohl said. “There’s just dramatically more chance that any one encounter or partnership would expose that person to infection. That’s certainly true of young gay men.”
But, Pohl suggests that breakthroughs are occurring in Chicago. A new report by the Chicago Department of Public Health found that more gay men are getting tested.
“We have more options now than we ever have before to help keep people HIV negative, to help them learn their status quickly, and to support them in being healthy if they test positive for the virus,” Pohl said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
29 photos Launch gallery
1. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
1 of 29
2. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
2 of 29
3. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
3 of 29
4. Jus haaaanngin out
4 of 29
5. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
5 of 29
6. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
6 of 29
7. new new
7 of 29
8. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
8 of 29
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 29
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 29
11 of 29
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 29
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 29
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 29
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 29
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 29
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 29
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 29
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 29
20 of 29
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 29
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 29
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 29
24. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
24 of 29
25. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
25 of 29
26. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
26 of 29
27. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
27 of 29
28. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
28 of 29
29. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
29 of 29