ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A security company claims in a lawsuit that George Zimmerman, his wife and attorney owe more than $27,000 for protection services.
The Orlando Sentinel reports that Associated Investigative Services filed the lawsuit Friday in Orange County Circuit Court. The company says it was hired in June to provide security for the Zimmerman family but promised payments stopped after an independent trustee took over Zimmerman’s defense fund.
Zimmerman attorney Mark O’Mara says the lawsuit was a surprise and that the company was paid some $40,000.
Zimmerman is awaiting trial on second-degree murder charges in the shooting of Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman contends the unarmed teenager attacked him and is claiming self-defense in the February killing. Zimmerman is free on $1 million bail and is in hiding.
Protestors Rally for Trayvon Martin
10 photos Launch gallery
1. 1. Protestors rally for Trayvon Martin. (Mary Altaffer/AP Photo)
1 of 10
2. 2. Wanted poster for George Zimmerman ( AP Photo/David Goldman)
2 of 10
3. 3. A man wears a hoodie and a scarf with the likeness of Trayvon Martin (AP)
3 of 10
4. 4. Steven Jonhson, 3, joins a "Justice for Trayvon Martin hoodie rally" (AP)
4 of 10
5. 5. Tyrone Boykins, left, of the Brooklyn borough of New York, takes part (AP)
5 of 10
6. 6. Trayvon Martin's parents, Tracy Martin (left) and Syrina Fulton (right) (AP)
6 of 10
7. 7. Keon McCloud holds a sign referencing the 36 days that have passed (AP)
7 of 10
8. 8. A Florida woman holds a sign Tuesday in protest of against the lack (AP)
8 of 10
9. 9. Miami Heat players wear team hoodies. (AP Photo/LeBron James via Twitter)
9 of 10
10. 10. Miami Heat's game against the Detroit Pistons, Friday. (AP Photo/Duane Burleson)
10 of 10