Allen Bryant, 57, drew blueprints for the Norfolk Southern Railway. Uncles John Poole and Joseph Lowery were painters, as well. Rebecca Lowery watched her grandfather display his natural talent and at age 4 convincingly told him that she, too, could draw.
Now 13, the Charlotte, North Carolina teen is winning acclaim for her work and has her sights set on attending the Art Institute in Charlotte, upon high school graduation and someday own an art gallery.
“Drawing makes me happy. You pick a marker and paint brush, it has a mind of its own,” Rebecca told BlackAmericaWeb.com.
On the weekends, Rebecca averages at least 15 hours per day drawing. During the week, the home-schooled student completes homework assignments and draws for two to three hours per day. She loves cartoon drawing and her family says she is a natural for it. She also enjoys drawing animals and nature.
At times, she’ll collaborate with her grandfather on different projects. For a particular rose drawing, that her grandfather sold, he awarded the energetic teen with a certificate.
Rebecca also finds time for fun and games with her six siblings and they often ask her to draw for them.
In many ways, Rebecca is a typical student. While attending Chapel Road Elementary, the avid reader, won $50 for reading the most books and earned a certificate for her art work. While attending Hornets Nest, in the third grade, Rebecca earned a Youth Art Exhibit Certificate from the Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools Visual Arts Department, and a second award at the Wachovia Gallery/Spirit Center for Arts Education.
After four years of home schooling, Rebecca has tested on a 12th grade level in Language Arts. She enjoys basketball, computer gaming and the guitar, but everywhere she goes, a sketch board is with her and she said she would like to sketch the president someday.
“Sure, I am all for it, if it happens, to do a painting of Obama,” she said.
Rebecca has now entered the world of storyboard painting, which is the graphic organization of illustrations or images in the early stages of visualizing a film, interactive media sequences, animation or motion graphic.
Hip hop filmmaker Tim Greene (“An Intimate Interview With the Masaai,” “Raykwan’s Cuties”), sent Rebecca’s mother, Eve Lowery, an email asking if Rebecca could do a story board painting for one of his movies.
Rebecca and her family attended Greene’s “Lil Homeez” casting call four years ago in Charlotte, where she auditioned for a movie and she has participated in recent film-related events for Greene in Atlanta and Charlotte.
“People who are persistent and consistent, I eventually give them a shot. I saw that Rebecca had other great talent besides acting and I put her in my projects,” Greene said, adding, “No other black girl is doing storyboards that I know of.”
Greene said Rebecca dazzled the Atlanta representatives with her intellect and is a role model for other gents and other kids are inspired by her.
“Tim’s a strong pillar for our family. He allows us to learn more about the industry, very supportive and we appreciate him for that,” Eve Lowery said.
Rebecca’s advice for other youngsters is pretty simple:
“Draw if it makes you happy, keep on doing it. Follow your passion and keep at it.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
28 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 28
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 28
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 28
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 28
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 28
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 28
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 28
8. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
8 of 28
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 28
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 28
11 of 28
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 28
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 28
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 28
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 28
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 28
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 28
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 28
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 28
20 of 28
21. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
21 of 28
22. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
22 of 28
23. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
23 of 28
24. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
24 of 28
25. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
25 of 28
26. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
26 of 28
27. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
27 of 28
28. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
28 of 28