Allen Bryant, 57, drew blueprints for the Norfolk Southern Railway. Uncles John Poole and Joseph Lowery were painters, as well. Rebecca Lowery watched her grandfather display his natural talent and at age 4 convincingly told him that she, too, could draw.
Now 13, the Charlotte, North Carolina teen is winning acclaim for her work and has her sights set on attending the Art Institute in Charlotte, upon high school graduation and someday own an art gallery.
“Drawing makes me happy. You pick a marker and paint brush, it has a mind of its own,” Rebecca told BlackAmericaWeb.com.
On the weekends, Rebecca averages at least 15 hours per day drawing. During the week, the home-schooled student completes homework assignments and draws for two to three hours per day. She loves cartoon drawing and her family says she is a natural for it. She also enjoys drawing animals and nature.
At times, she’ll collaborate with her grandfather on different projects. For a particular rose drawing, that her grandfather sold, he awarded the energetic teen with a certificate.
Rebecca also finds time for fun and games with her six siblings and they often ask her to draw for them.
In many ways, Rebecca is a typical student. While attending Chapel Road Elementary, the avid reader, won $50 for reading the most books and earned a certificate for her art work. While attending Hornets Nest, in the third grade, Rebecca earned a Youth Art Exhibit Certificate from the Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools Visual Arts Department, and a second award at the Wachovia Gallery/Spirit Center for Arts Education.
After four years of home schooling, Rebecca has tested on a 12th grade level in Language Arts. She enjoys basketball, computer gaming and the guitar, but everywhere she goes, a sketch board is with her and she said she would like to sketch the president someday.
“Sure, I am all for it, if it happens, to do a painting of Obama,” she said.
Rebecca has now entered the world of storyboard painting, which is the graphic organization of illustrations or images in the early stages of visualizing a film, interactive media sequences, animation or motion graphic.
Hip hop filmmaker Tim Greene (“An Intimate Interview With the Masaai,” “Raykwan’s Cuties”), sent Rebecca’s mother, Eve Lowery, an email asking if Rebecca could do a story board painting for one of his movies.
Rebecca and her family attended Greene’s “Lil Homeez” casting call four years ago in Charlotte, where she auditioned for a movie and she has participated in recent film-related events for Greene in Atlanta and Charlotte.
“People who are persistent and consistent, I eventually give them a shot. I saw that Rebecca had other great talent besides acting and I put her in my projects,” Greene said, adding, “No other black girl is doing storyboards that I know of.”
Greene said Rebecca dazzled the Atlanta representatives with her intellect and is a role model for other gents and other kids are inspired by her.
“Tim’s a strong pillar for our family. He allows us to learn more about the industry, very supportive and we appreciate him for that,” Eve Lowery said.
Rebecca’s advice for other youngsters is pretty simple:
“Draw if it makes you happy, keep on doing it. Follow your passion and keep at it.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31