Singer Ne-Yo, born Shaffer Chimere Smith, isn’t content to just gift the world with his musical talents. The R&B crooner also wants to spread a little love through charitable endeavors. To that end, he created his Compound Foundation, which assists young people with a variety of services including leadership development and music therapy. The foundation builds recording studios in group homes and awards grants to non-profits that provide permanent housing for young adults formerly in foster care, as well as provides grants and scholarships o young people with a history of foster care or group home living. In addition, Compounds hosts an annual Giving Tour, in conjunction with the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, which travels around the country to provide toys and supplies to underprivileged and foster care children.
This year’s tour began in Ne-Yo’s hometown of Las Vegas and continues this week with a stop in Newark, N.J. before concluding in Atlanta. Five hundred area youth will receive clothing, toys, electronics and bicycles during the event which will include appearances by Newark mayor Cory Booker and reality TV star Angela Simmons.
“We created The Giving Tour to help uplift the spirits of youth in foster care who for many reasons may not be able to experience the holiday,” said Compound Foundation Executive Director Khalilah Abdul-Baqi. “Each child that we have reached since our inaugural event four years ago still holds a piece of my heart, and I’m thrilled to continue this amazing series with another round of outstanding and deserving kids.”
If you’d like to contribute to The Compound Foundation, you can send toys and/or charitable donations to: The Compound Foundation, c/o V. Brown & Co., 888 Seventh Avenue, Suite 500, New York, NY 10106. Donations should be payable to The Compound Foundation or you can give via Pay Pal on the foundation’s website www.compoundfoundation.org/.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25