I’m not always up-to-date on the latest men’s fashions, but I do know where to draw the line: Kanye West’s skirt.
Yes, a skirt.
During last week’s 12-12-12 concert at Madison Square Garden benefiting Hurricane Sandy relief efforts, West, 35, performed wearing a black leather skirt and leggings.
I realize that some artists are a bit eccentric and are often over-the-top, but West, dressing like a lady, just looked ridiculous, outrageous and silly.
Perhaps it was actually trendy and I just overlooked his brilliance. But I don’t think so.
What’s next: A tutu?
West’s outfit certainly got loads of reaction, mostly in the form of jokes, especially since West is dating the highly over-exposed Kim Kardashian.
“Maybe a new item from the Kardashian collection?” one Twitter user joked.
“Kanye must have swapped suitcases with Kim Kardashian,” another person commented.
Here are a few more wisecracks posted on USA Today’s website:
– “Kanye must have swapped suitcases with Kim Kardashian.”
– “‘Wear this black trash bag as a skirt. Then, just kinda run around the stage scaring white people’ – Kanye West’s manager before the show”
– “Kanye West looks like the episode when Steve Urkel became a cheerleader!!!!”
This wasn’t the first time that West has performed in clothing that looked like it was designed for women. He once appeared on stage wearing a paisley silk blouse.
C’mon West. Really?
I agree with President Barack Obama’s assessment of West.
“He is a jackass,” Obama said in a magazine article this summer. “But he’s talented.”
For young black boys who are easily blinded by bling, West is the worst kind of role model.
Yes, he is a talented musical artist, but that’s not enough. He doesn’t use his celebrity status to uplift black boys who have lost their way. He never talks about the significance of a college education. He rarely speaks out about black-on-black crime since the leading cause of death for young black men in homicide.
In Chicago, for example, in the first half of this year, 201 of the 259 homicide victims were African American. While blacks make up about 33 percent of the city’s population, they accounted for nearly 78 percent of the homicide victims through the first six months of 2012.
And I’ve never heard West talk about how young black men should treat women with more respect.
Maybe I’m asking too much from West. After all, this is the same guy who removed his lower row of teeth and replaced them with pressurized carbon diamonds.
“I just like diamond teeth and I didn’t feel like having to take them out all the time,” West said in a Vanity Fair article.
“I just thought that diamonds were cooler,” West told Ellen Degeneres. “It’s just something that rock stars are supposed to do.”
Let me get this right: So now West is a rock star? And what rock stars have replaced their teeth with diamonds? Mick Jagger? Bon Jovi? Bruce Springstein? Santana? None of the above.
West is a mess. His thinking is irrational. His clothing is questionable. His outbursts on stage are peculiar.
And his new diamond-bling smile seems like a desperate cry for attention.
It’s time for West to drop the dresses and man-up.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30