I’m not always up-to-date on the latest men’s fashions, but I do know where to draw the line: Kanye West’s skirt.
Yes, a skirt.
During last week’s 12-12-12 concert at Madison Square Garden benefiting Hurricane Sandy relief efforts, West, 35, performed wearing a black leather skirt and leggings.
I realize that some artists are a bit eccentric and are often over-the-top, but West, dressing like a lady, just looked ridiculous, outrageous and silly.
Perhaps it was actually trendy and I just overlooked his brilliance. But I don’t think so.
What’s next: A tutu?
West’s outfit certainly got loads of reaction, mostly in the form of jokes, especially since West is dating the highly over-exposed Kim Kardashian.
“Maybe a new item from the Kardashian collection?” one Twitter user joked.
“Kanye must have swapped suitcases with Kim Kardashian,” another person commented.
Here are a few more wisecracks posted on USA Today’s website:
– “Kanye must have swapped suitcases with Kim Kardashian.”
– “‘Wear this black trash bag as a skirt. Then, just kinda run around the stage scaring white people’ – Kanye West’s manager before the show”
– “Kanye West looks like the episode when Steve Urkel became a cheerleader!!!!”
This wasn’t the first time that West has performed in clothing that looked like it was designed for women. He once appeared on stage wearing a paisley silk blouse.
C’mon West. Really?
I agree with President Barack Obama’s assessment of West.
“He is a jackass,” Obama said in a magazine article this summer. “But he’s talented.”
For young black boys who are easily blinded by bling, West is the worst kind of role model.
Yes, he is a talented musical artist, but that’s not enough. He doesn’t use his celebrity status to uplift black boys who have lost their way. He never talks about the significance of a college education. He rarely speaks out about black-on-black crime since the leading cause of death for young black men in homicide.
In Chicago, for example, in the first half of this year, 201 of the 259 homicide victims were African American. While blacks make up about 33 percent of the city’s population, they accounted for nearly 78 percent of the homicide victims through the first six months of 2012.
And I’ve never heard West talk about how young black men should treat women with more respect.
Maybe I’m asking too much from West. After all, this is the same guy who removed his lower row of teeth and replaced them with pressurized carbon diamonds.
“I just like diamond teeth and I didn’t feel like having to take them out all the time,” West said in a Vanity Fair article.
“I just thought that diamonds were cooler,” West told Ellen Degeneres. “It’s just something that rock stars are supposed to do.”
Let me get this right: So now West is a rock star? And what rock stars have replaced their teeth with diamonds? Mick Jagger? Bon Jovi? Bruce Springstein? Santana? None of the above.
West is a mess. His thinking is irrational. His clothing is questionable. His outbursts on stage are peculiar.
And his new diamond-bling smile seems like a desperate cry for attention.
It’s time for West to drop the dresses and man-up.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31