Got a question for the doctor? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Carolle Jean-Murat, a renowned gynecologist, noted healer and shaman writes that for years she repressed the rituals, beliefs and spiritual grounding of the Voodoo tradition with which she was raised.
Eventually, though, Jean-Murat began to incorporate the traditions into her healing practice.
She also spent 25 years writing “Voodoo in My Blood: A Healer’s Journey from Surgeon to Shaman,” a memoir that explains that Voodoo is not the black magic, animal sacrificing, pin-sticking dolls experience that informs the stereotype of Voodoo.
Jean-Murat grew up in Haiti during the 1950s through the repressive reign of “Papa Doc” and “Baby Doc” Duvalier, which divided her family between the educated elite and the practitioners of Voodoo, which was illegal at the time after the Catholic Church was declared Haiti’s official church.
Over time, however, Jean-Murat said, experiences with Voodoo ceremonies stuck with her and she turned to it more and more to help her work and personal life. Voodoo was finally declared legal in 2003.
Jean-Murat settled in San Diego after undergoing training in Haiti, Mexico, Jamaica and post-graduate training in Wisconsin. She quickly developed a reputation as an exceptional ob-gyn, but for years she never shared that whenever a patient entered her office, she could intuitively see the cause of the problem, even before conducting an examination.
She felt uncomfortable trying to make her intuitive powers fit in with Western medicine and eventually quit the traditional practice and created the Dr. Carolle’s Wellness and Retreat Center of San Diego. Her practice has expanded to include female veterans who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and sexual trauma during their tours of duty.
Jean-Murat also provides free gynecological care to Haitians and to underserved women through Catholic Charities and the St. Vincent de Paul Village, as well as Native-American Health programs.
In 1993, Jean-Murat also founded the Health Through Communications Foundation and its Angels For Haiti Project to provide the undeserved with education and health-care. For details, visit http://www.HealthThroughCommunications.org.
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25