Scripture assures us it is a child that shall lead them. And now nine-year-old Samuel Love stands as a surefire testament to that.
Equally moved by both the levels of devastation and the acts of benevolence brought on in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, the third-grade Chicagoan is spending his time leading up to the holidays spearheading a local toy drive to benefit New York children affected by the storm.
As part of his campaign, the aptly named youngster is asking the public to donate and drop off new, unwrapped toys throughout the week either at his school or at the locally famed eatery Josephine’s Cooking, a soul-food restaurant owned and operated by his grandmother. He also hosted a party at the South Side hotspot where admission is $10 or the presentation of a gift.
All guests were treated to a free buffet lunch and there was also a Santa on hand to take photos with children at a cost of $10. All proceeds were used to purchase even more new toys, which will be shipped and distributed at either a military base or a NYC children’s charity. Overall, Love has set a goal of collecting as many as $3,000 worth of toys to distribute throughout the city.
“Christmas is a time of giving and sharing,” Love reflected. “Not many kids my age think about that, but I do, and that’s why I want to make sure kids in New York have a good Christmas. I started thinking about how those kids might not get any gifts this year because their parents can’t afford it.”
“I am so proud of my son for the sacrifice he is making for those who are less fortunate,” Victor Love said of his son. “This is his first time organizing a fundraiser and with God’s help, I know it will turn out well,” he said, adding that his son also plans to volunteer in feeding the local homeless and unfortunate on Christmas Day.
Some six weeks after Sandy battered the Caribbean, Mid-Atlantic and Eastern Shore, NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg recently estimated that as many as 40,000 local residents still remain homeless based on the wreckage it bore. With many of its victims already rating among the city’s most vulnerable, its effects have left countless numbers of them in even more dire straits, at times separating families from families and parents from children— all in the name of being able to keep a roof, albeit temporary, over their heads.
Still others struggle nearly as immensely with the equally daunting task of finding an affordable place to live, a place to work and a new school and child care for their children. Some families, totally committed to the peace-of-mind of bred by being together no matter what, have chosen to brave it by sleeping in their vehicles or even gutted out, virtually powerless homes.
The small Jersey town of Little Ferry, for example, was rendered more than 80 percent underwater and as many as 24 other states, from Florida to Maine, Michigan to Wisconsin, residents were forced to contend with and overcome catastrophes ranging from flooded tunnels to downed subway lines to power outages that spanned entire regions.
In the end, at least 253 people died at the hands of Sandy and preliminary estimates regarding monetary damages wrought by it rises to as much as $100 billion, easily making Sandy the second most costly Atlantic hurricane in history behind only Katrina.
Clearly, it all makes for a traumatizing and disheartening experience, one hopefully made just a bit softer when one encounters a soul seemingly as pure as young Samuel Love.
“My dad has encouraged me to step up and do more to help people,” he said. “I really hope my actions lead to more people, not just kids, taking time to help people in times of need. People would say I am a good kid, but I say I am a kid who likes to do good things for others.”
Scripture assures us of as much.
Glenn Minnis is a NYC-based sports and culture writer. Follow him on Twitter at @glennnyc.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31