Today, Mellody Hobson talks about kids and credit cards.
I need you to hear me out on this: I think that parents should open credit cards for their kids when they are just sixteen years old.
Credit cards are a weapon of mass destruction if they aren’t used correctly. Sixteen coincides with other big responsibilities like driving. You wouldn’t just hand over a set of car keys to your child before teaching them how to drive. Driver’s ed is required by law. But what about financial education? We can’t send our kids off to college, put a powerful piece of plastic in their palms and expect them not to crash and burn!
I’m not talking about need; I’m talking about training. I think part of the reason we’ve gotten into so much trouble with credit cards is that no one taught us. Just like a 15-year-old has a learner’s permit before handling two tons of metal, sixteen is a great age to get a credit learner’s permit. That way, you have two years to teach your kids how to sensibly use a credit card before they leave the house. You can monitor their activity, sit down with them, review the bill, explain the trap of high interest rates and penalties for late payments—all before they’re 18, when they leave the house and start to think of themselves as independent adults. By then, parents have much less influence—not to mention control.
Now, I have some guidelines. First, we are talking about ONE credit card. I don’t think anyone should have more than one credit card, much less a teenager. A recent survey found that half of college students own four or more credit cards. That’s crazy! NO ONE needs that many credit cards. Next, the card needs to be paid off entirely. Every. Month. I cannot stress this enough. It’s not okay to just pay off the minimum balance.
One option is to make your child an authorized user on your card. This allows you to closely monitor what they’re spending and where, and it makes the parent ultimately responsible for all charges. The upside is that your child’s usage of the card is reported to the credit bureaus, which can start building a positive credit score.
Yet another option to open a “secured card” so your child learns to stay within a budget and be responsible, making timely monthly payments. With a secured card, the cardholder can only charge as much as the sum of money that’s deposited in advance. So, for example, if your child deposits $200, it remains security for the bank, and they can charge up to $200. Paying reliably means building a good credit history — a necessity for the future.
Is it hard for a teenager to get a credit card without a credit history?
Well, yes and no. In the past, every college welcome week was decorated with booths from banks offering cards to students with no income and all they required in exchange was a signature and an address. Plus, the student walked away with a free frisbee. Now, new federal rules keep banks off college campuses and prevent them from giving credit cards to students without jobs or assets.
But it’s a new world, and kids get their hands on them anyway. Get this: Now banks find college students through their Facebook profiles and entice students through games and prizes. Listen, this is NOT a “live and learn” life lesson for your kids. In a recent survey, found that only 63% of students said their parents helped them learn about managing their money, whereas 82% said their parents taught them to drive. It’s time to up parents’ influence on financial education before any damage is done.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30