Rob Parker only opens his mouth to change feet.
Parker is a knucklehead sports analyst who deserves to be suspended from ESPN after his ignorant racial comments about Robert Griffin III, the prolific rookie quarterback of the Washington Redskins.
Parker was suspended by ESPN last week after creating a firestorm of controversy when he questioned whether Griffin, who is black, was a “real” African American.
“Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother?” Parker, who is also black, asked during an on-air broadcast on ESPN’s First Take sports program.
“He’s not real. OK, he’s black, he kind of does the thing, but he’s not really down with the cause,” Parker said. “He’s not one of us. He’s kind of black, but he’s not really, like, the guy you want to hang out with because he’s off to something else.”
“We all know he has a white fiancée,” Parker added. “There was all this talk about how he’s a Republican … Tiger Woods was like, ‘I’ve got black skin but don’t call me black.’ ”
Griffin’s father, Robert Griffin II, said he was “baffled” by Parker’s comments and would not say much more even though the overwhelming number of social media followers are clearly angry at Parker .
Griffin’s father isn’t alone. I’m baffled by Parker’s remarks, too.
Who is Parker to question RGIII’s blackness? And why should it matter? Parker should apologize to Griffin immediately instead of defending his ridiculous remarks.
RGIII is one of the most grounded, intelligent and thoughtful players in the NFL. He loves his family, he has a strong work ethic, and he’s a role model for all young people – and especially children of color.
The general manager of the Redskins said the team didn’t just acquire a great NFL quarterback – he also said the Redskins also hired an outstanding human being.
So what’s not black about RGIII? I don’t get it.
Parker is long on silly rhetoric and short on facts. He’s the worst kind of journalist who throws around bogus information and slandering a good young man. He claims there’s “talk” about RGIII being a “Republican?” Says who? Where did he get that information? Who are his sources? Or did he just make it up?
I can’t believe a word Parker says. And now I’m questioning Parker’s status as an African American man. What kind of “brother” would attack another black young man in this manner? What kind of black man would try to humiliate such a sharp, young black quarterback who is on his way to a stellar NFL career?
At 22 years old, Griffin is already being considered for the NFL’s Rookie of The Year. He is leading the NFL in both completion percentage (70.4) and yards per attempt (8.5), while also rushing for about 500 yards and six touchdowns. He has thrown seven touchdowns against just three interceptions for a passer rating of 101.8 — third best in the NFL.
Meanwhile, this is not the first time that Parker has been reprimanded for saying something stupid. It’s almost becoming a pattern.
In 2009, Parker resigned from the Detroit News as a sports columnist after asking Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli at a postgame news conference whether he wished his daughter had married “a better defensive coordinator.”
Parker is in hot water again –and this time his suspension by ESPN could easily turn into a permanent arrangement.
“Following yesterday’s comments, Rob Parker has been suspended until further notice,” ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said. “We are conducting a full review.”
But Parker seems confident that he will not be disciplined any further.
“When a Twitter user joked by wishing Parker ‘good luck’ in his ‘next line of work,’ Parker responded with arrogance: “Watch me on First Take tomorrow.”
Parker has a self-inflated view of himself and he’s obviously learned nothing from his past mistakes, which is why he’s watching television this week instead of appearing on it.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31