Rob Parker only opens his mouth to change feet.
Parker is a knucklehead sports analyst who deserves to be suspended from ESPN after his ignorant racial comments about Robert Griffin III, the prolific rookie quarterback of the Washington Redskins.
Parker was suspended by ESPN last week after creating a firestorm of controversy when he questioned whether Griffin, who is black, was a “real” African American.
“Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother?” Parker, who is also black, asked during an on-air broadcast on ESPN’s First Take sports program.
“He’s not real. OK, he’s black, he kind of does the thing, but he’s not really down with the cause,” Parker said. “He’s not one of us. He’s kind of black, but he’s not really, like, the guy you want to hang out with because he’s off to something else.”
“We all know he has a white fiancée,” Parker added. “There was all this talk about how he’s a Republican … Tiger Woods was like, ‘I’ve got black skin but don’t call me black.’ ”
Griffin’s father, Robert Griffin II, said he was “baffled” by Parker’s comments and would not say much more even though the overwhelming number of social media followers are clearly angry at Parker .
Griffin’s father isn’t alone. I’m baffled by Parker’s remarks, too.
Who is Parker to question RGIII’s blackness? And why should it matter? Parker should apologize to Griffin immediately instead of defending his ridiculous remarks.
RGIII is one of the most grounded, intelligent and thoughtful players in the NFL. He loves his family, he has a strong work ethic, and he’s a role model for all young people – and especially children of color.
The general manager of the Redskins said the team didn’t just acquire a great NFL quarterback – he also said the Redskins also hired an outstanding human being.
So what’s not black about RGIII? I don’t get it.
Parker is long on silly rhetoric and short on facts. He’s the worst kind of journalist who throws around bogus information and slandering a good young man. He claims there’s “talk” about RGIII being a “Republican?” Says who? Where did he get that information? Who are his sources? Or did he just make it up?
I can’t believe a word Parker says. And now I’m questioning Parker’s status as an African American man. What kind of “brother” would attack another black young man in this manner? What kind of black man would try to humiliate such a sharp, young black quarterback who is on his way to a stellar NFL career?
At 22 years old, Griffin is already being considered for the NFL’s Rookie of The Year. He is leading the NFL in both completion percentage (70.4) and yards per attempt (8.5), while also rushing for about 500 yards and six touchdowns. He has thrown seven touchdowns against just three interceptions for a passer rating of 101.8 — third best in the NFL.
Meanwhile, this is not the first time that Parker has been reprimanded for saying something stupid. It’s almost becoming a pattern.
In 2009, Parker resigned from the Detroit News as a sports columnist after asking Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli at a postgame news conference whether he wished his daughter had married “a better defensive coordinator.”
Parker is in hot water again –and this time his suspension by ESPN could easily turn into a permanent arrangement.
“Following yesterday’s comments, Rob Parker has been suspended until further notice,” ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said. “We are conducting a full review.”
But Parker seems confident that he will not be disciplined any further.
“When a Twitter user joked by wishing Parker ‘good luck’ in his ‘next line of work,’ Parker responded with arrogance: “Watch me on First Take tomorrow.”
Parker has a self-inflated view of himself and he’s obviously learned nothing from his past mistakes, which is why he’s watching television this week instead of appearing on it.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30