So, it’s been quite a couple of weeks in the world of sports. I’m sure our boxing fans out there were shocked by that knockout of Manny Pacquiao on Saturday night didn’t see that one coming.
And, unfortunately, as we all know by now, there were two shocking NFL tragedies that folks may have seen coming.
Chiefs’ linebacker Jovan Belcher killed the mother of his three-month old daughter and then himself on Dec 1 and Dallas Cowboy Josh Brent was arrested this past weekend for intoxication manslaughter after his car flipped over, killing his best friend and teammate Jerry Brown..
Two horrific incidents, a week apart, involving the premature deaths of 25 year old football players, and an innocent mother.
I can’t stop thinking about the families affected. Belcher’s mother who was in the house when her son shot his girlfriend and who then suffered the loss of her son, the little girl who will now grow up without her parents.
There are a lot of opinions out there on who is to blame. Some have said guns or a lack of gun control is the problem, some suggest money, fame, youth and a culture of drugs and alcohol are at fault.
Others say the only ones at fault are the two men who committed these terrible crimes.
Whatever you may think, three young people are dead and we need to consider if there were ways of preventing these tragedies, and future ones like them, especially since there were telltale signs in both cases.
The Chiefs knew Belcher was having issues and, to their credit, they were reportedly working with him and Brent had been arrested for DWI while at the University of Illinois and spent time in county jail.
Michael Biello, a marketing agent who represents high-profile NFL players, recently suggested every team should have independent counselors that players can talk to 24/7 if they are going through a personal crisis, independent and confidential because many players won’t come forward out of concern for their employment and playing time.
Would it have made a difference for Brent who’d already been arrested for DWI before? for Belcher whose ongoing problems with his baby’s mother were well known? No one knows for sure.
Still, it may have, at least, created an environment where these players could have seen some way out.
Because—as we are reminded this holiday season—the game of life is much bigger than the game of football. In football, a loss means you can try again next week or next season. In life, a loss can be final.
I’ll end with these important words from Belcher teammate, Brady Quinn:
“The one thing people can hopefully try to take away, I guess, is the relationships they have with people… When you ask someone how they are doing, do you really mean it? When you answer someone back how you are doing, are you really telling the truth?”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30