So, it’s been quite a couple of weeks in the world of sports. I’m sure our boxing fans out there were shocked by that knockout of Manny Pacquiao on Saturday night didn’t see that one coming.
And, unfortunately, as we all know by now, there were two shocking NFL tragedies that folks may have seen coming.
Chiefs’ linebacker Jovan Belcher killed the mother of his three-month old daughter and then himself on Dec 1 and Dallas Cowboy Josh Brent was arrested this past weekend for intoxication manslaughter after his car flipped over, killing his best friend and teammate Jerry Brown..
Two horrific incidents, a week apart, involving the premature deaths of 25 year old football players, and an innocent mother.
I can’t stop thinking about the families affected. Belcher’s mother who was in the house when her son shot his girlfriend and who then suffered the loss of her son, the little girl who will now grow up without her parents.
There are a lot of opinions out there on who is to blame. Some have said guns or a lack of gun control is the problem, some suggest money, fame, youth and a culture of drugs and alcohol are at fault.
Others say the only ones at fault are the two men who committed these terrible crimes.
Whatever you may think, three young people are dead and we need to consider if there were ways of preventing these tragedies, and future ones like them, especially since there were telltale signs in both cases.
The Chiefs knew Belcher was having issues and, to their credit, they were reportedly working with him and Brent had been arrested for DWI while at the University of Illinois and spent time in county jail.
Michael Biello, a marketing agent who represents high-profile NFL players, recently suggested every team should have independent counselors that players can talk to 24/7 if they are going through a personal crisis, independent and confidential because many players won’t come forward out of concern for their employment and playing time.
Would it have made a difference for Brent who’d already been arrested for DWI before? for Belcher whose ongoing problems with his baby’s mother were well known? No one knows for sure.
Still, it may have, at least, created an environment where these players could have seen some way out.
Because—as we are reminded this holiday season—the game of life is much bigger than the game of football. In football, a loss means you can try again next week or next season. In life, a loss can be final.
I’ll end with these important words from Belcher teammate, Brady Quinn:
“The one thing people can hopefully try to take away, I guess, is the relationships they have with people… When you ask someone how they are doing, do you really mean it? When you answer someone back how you are doing, are you really telling the truth?”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25