So, it’s been quite a couple of weeks in the world of sports. I’m sure our boxing fans out there were shocked by that knockout of Manny Pacquiao on Saturday night didn’t see that one coming.
And, unfortunately, as we all know by now, there were two shocking NFL tragedies that folks may have seen coming.
Chiefs’ linebacker Jovan Belcher killed the mother of his three-month old daughter and then himself on Dec 1 and Dallas Cowboy Josh Brent was arrested this past weekend for intoxication manslaughter after his car flipped over, killing his best friend and teammate Jerry Brown..
Two horrific incidents, a week apart, involving the premature deaths of 25 year old football players, and an innocent mother.
I can’t stop thinking about the families affected. Belcher’s mother who was in the house when her son shot his girlfriend and who then suffered the loss of her son, the little girl who will now grow up without her parents.
There are a lot of opinions out there on who is to blame. Some have said guns or a lack of gun control is the problem, some suggest money, fame, youth and a culture of drugs and alcohol are at fault.
Others say the only ones at fault are the two men who committed these terrible crimes.
Whatever you may think, three young people are dead and we need to consider if there were ways of preventing these tragedies, and future ones like them, especially since there were telltale signs in both cases.
The Chiefs knew Belcher was having issues and, to their credit, they were reportedly working with him and Brent had been arrested for DWI while at the University of Illinois and spent time in county jail.
Michael Biello, a marketing agent who represents high-profile NFL players, recently suggested every team should have independent counselors that players can talk to 24/7 if they are going through a personal crisis, independent and confidential because many players won’t come forward out of concern for their employment and playing time.
Would it have made a difference for Brent who’d already been arrested for DWI before? for Belcher whose ongoing problems with his baby’s mother were well known? No one knows for sure.
Still, it may have, at least, created an environment where these players could have seen some way out.
Because—as we are reminded this holiday season—the game of life is much bigger than the game of football. In football, a loss means you can try again next week or next season. In life, a loss can be final.
I’ll end with these important words from Belcher teammate, Brady Quinn:
“The one thing people can hopefully try to take away, I guess, is the relationships they have with people… When you ask someone how they are doing, do you really mean it? When you answer someone back how you are doing, are you really telling the truth?”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31