It’s heartening to learn that some NFL players are turning in their guns.
Since Jovan Belcher’s murder-suicide last week, several African American NFL players are correctly starting to reflect on how loaded weapons can destroy lives.
“In the last seven days, at least seven players around the league have gone to their league security officers to turn in the firearms that they possessed from their homes,” Peter King, a sports analyst, said on NBC’s Sunday night’s football broadcast.
“I’m also told that one of these players who had multiple firearms told the security officer, ‘I don’t trust myself with these guns in the house. Please take them away.’”
That’s a powerful statement from men who enjoy their pistols as much as they like their footballs. A recent USA Today poll found that three out of four NFL players own guns, as opposed to 40% to 45% of the general population.
The proliferation of guns in America should be considered as a national crisis, particularly since the leading cause of death among black males 15-24 years old is homicide – mostly the result of gunshots.
But one Chiefs player said he owns a gun and doesn’t see a problem with a weapon in the home.
“Just because we’re NFL players, it doesn’t make us no different,” Chiefs defensive tackle Shaun Smith told USA Today.
“Some of you guys probably have guns in your houses,” Smith added.” If you have daughters, you should. You never know when somebody might try to rob you or do whatever, you know?”
“At one point a couple years ago, it was nothing but a bunch of home invasions, and you’ve got to protect yourself,” he said. “You work so hard to get to where you’re at, and I’d be damned if I just let somebody take it away from me, period.”
But beyond the debate over gun control, reality is setting in for Belcher’s family. Belcher, a 25-year-old linebacker with the Kansas City Chiefs, leaves behind a baby girl, Joey, three months old.
It’s a very sad situation: Belcher left his daughter without any parents, and, unfortunately, the issue of the baby’s welfare has gotten lost in the heated gun control debate.
Joey, a black baby, seriously needs a father in her life – as all children do.
The orphaned daughter of Jovan will receive about $1 million from the NFL as she grows up. Under the NFL’s Surviving Child benefit, Zoey will receive $9,000 per month for the next 48 months, and at least $4,000 per month from age 4 until she turns 18 – or 23 if she goes to college.
Money doesn’t solve all problems, but it will go a long way to help Zoey get the physical, educational and emotional care she will need when she’s old enough to learn how her parents died.
“If Jovan Belcher didn’t possess a gun, he and Kassandra Perkins would both be alive today,” NBC sports commentator Bob Costas said on the air last week.
I couldn’t agree more.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31