In an interview with Diane Sawyer, Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine) said she believes the fiscal cliff issue would have been resolved by now if it were left in the hands of female senators.
“I think if we (women) were in charge of the Senate and of the administration, we would have a budget deal by now,” Collins told Sawyer. “With all deference to our male colleagues, women’s styles tend to be more collaborative.”
For the first time in U.S. history, one-fifth of Congress will be composed of female senators when they are sworn in on Jan 3. The 113th Congress will consist of 16 Democratic female senators and four Republican senators. This is three more than the current count of women serving in Congress.
The Sawyer interview featuring 19 of the 20 female Congresswomen will air on Jan. 3.
Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo) also believes that women possess greater negotiations skills which could have been applied to the fiscal cliff crisis.
“By nature we are less confrontational and more collaborative,” McCaskill said. “Not only do we want to work in a bipartisan way, we do it.”
McCaskill has a history of reaching across the aisle to pass legislation as she did on the Earmark Elimination Act of 2011 with Sens. Pat Toomey (Pa.) and Marco Rubio (Fla.).
But can women truly come to an agreement on issues in this “Mean Girl” culture where competition and back-stabbing are often used as weapons?
Therapist Phyllis Goldberg and Rosemary Lichtman, co-founders of HerMentorCenter.com beg to differ. They find that the “mean girl” method is only used by women who are immature and easily succumb to social pressures.
“They have a lot of life experience,” Goldberg said. “Women are brought up to take care of people and situations, developing communicative and collaborative skills. Those skills in family relationships can be a metaphor for so many other things, whether in politics or business.”
Goldberg finds that the new female senators may offer a touch that is long overdue in Congress.
“The excitement, the energy, the idealism [from having more women than ever before in the Senate]—all of that can coalesce into a lot of strength and power and a willingness to reach solutions,” Goldberg suggested.
Although emotions are sometimes equated with weakness, Goldberg believes women are the experts at using emotions to express empathy towards others dealing with the effects of the recession.
“Women by nature and by early learning are very emotional,” she said. “When they see how frustrated, how discouraged, how stressed families and individuals are, they have the desire to make something happen and to bring some closure to a very painful period in people’s lives.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30