Shalema Gaskin, 32, (pictured)stepped away from her 8-year-old daughter Briana, who was being treated at Brookdale Hospital in the Brownsville neighborhood of Brooklyn, to check on her other children, and was discovered dead in the back entrance of the hospital with a gunshot wound through the neck, reports the Wall Street Journal.
Police, who reported that all of her personal property seemed to be intact, have not established a motive for Gaskin’s murder. Both law enforcement and hospital employees claim that the back door would have been locked at the time and have no idea why she was there.
The Wall Street Journal has more:
Gaskin, who lives four blocks from the hospital, had been there all day with her daughter Briana and the girl’s father, Mark Miley, the official said. She left around 8 p.m. Monday to go home and put their 6-year-old daughter to bed.
Family members said Gaskin returned to the hospital sometime around 2 a.m. to find Miley and Briana asleep in the hospital room. A nurse told the family that she had seen the woman leave the room and go downstairs. What happened afterward is still unclear.
Police have no surveillance footage of the attack, the official said. It was unclear if there were any cameras in the vicinity of the crime scene.
Detectives spent much of the day combing empty lots and streets in the neighborhood for clues. A uniformed police officer kept watch over the crime scene, where blood stains remained on the hospital’s blond brick wall.
A law enforcement official said police had been called for four domestic disturbances involving Gaskin, including one argument between her and her estranged husband. But the official said hospital staff did not see them fighting and that the husband did not leave his daughter’s side Monday night.
[ione_newsletter_signup] See news report below:
Passerby spotted the young mother bleeding from her wound behind the hospital around 3:00 a.m. She was rushed into an emergency room, but could not be saved.
“My daughter came out outside, probably to smoke a cigarette,” said Shalema’s mom Tanya. “She didn’t tell anyone she was leaving, because she was planning on going back inside.”
According to witnesses, the assailant calmly walked up and shot Gaskin — then just as calmly walked away.
No arrests have been made.
Gaskin leaves three daughters to mourn her passing – Tamara, 18; Samiyah 8; and Briana 5.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Brooklyn Mother Killed Behind Hospital While 8-Year-Old Daughter Treated For Asthma Attack [VIDEO]