Shalema Gaskin, 32, (pictured)stepped away from her 8-year-old daughter Briana, who was being treated at Brookdale Hospital in the Brownsville neighborhood of Brooklyn, to check on her other children, and was discovered dead in the back entrance of the hospital with a gunshot wound through the neck, reports the Wall Street Journal.
Police, who reported that all of her personal property seemed to be intact, have not established a motive for Gaskin’s murder. Both law enforcement and hospital employees claim that the back door would have been locked at the time and have no idea why she was there.
The Wall Street Journal has more:
Gaskin, who lives four blocks from the hospital, had been there all day with her daughter Briana and the girl’s father, Mark Miley, the official said. She left around 8 p.m. Monday to go home and put their 6-year-old daughter to bed.
Family members said Gaskin returned to the hospital sometime around 2 a.m. to find Miley and Briana asleep in the hospital room. A nurse told the family that she had seen the woman leave the room and go downstairs. What happened afterward is still unclear.
Police have no surveillance footage of the attack, the official said. It was unclear if there were any cameras in the vicinity of the crime scene.
Detectives spent much of the day combing empty lots and streets in the neighborhood for clues. A uniformed police officer kept watch over the crime scene, where blood stains remained on the hospital’s blond brick wall.
A law enforcement official said police had been called for four domestic disturbances involving Gaskin, including one argument between her and her estranged husband. But the official said hospital staff did not see them fighting and that the husband did not leave his daughter’s side Monday night.
[ione_newsletter_signup] See news report below:
Passerby spotted the young mother bleeding from her wound behind the hospital around 3:00 a.m. She was rushed into an emergency room, but could not be saved.
“My daughter came out outside, probably to smoke a cigarette,” said Shalema’s mom Tanya. “She didn’t tell anyone she was leaving, because she was planning on going back inside.”
According to witnesses, the assailant calmly walked up and shot Gaskin — then just as calmly walked away.
No arrests have been made.
Gaskin leaves three daughters to mourn her passing – Tamara, 18; Samiyah 8; and Briana 5.
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.