Three teenagers will be charged as adults in the shooting death of a 22-year-old woman in Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.
Kayla Peterson, 22, died after one of the teens shot her in the stomach as she stood on her front porch on Saturday afternoon in Beaver Falls.
Todavia S. Cleckley and Marcus Velasquez, both 14, were charged with conspiracy to commit criminal homicide in the shooting death of the Beaver Falls woman who was the mother of a 23-month-old baby. Valasqiuez has been charged with criminal homicide, two felony counts of aggravated assault and two misdemeanor counts of reckless endangerment. A third teenager, 13-year-old Kyle Goosby Jr. has been charged with criminal conspiracy to commit homicide.
Goosby is in police custody but Cleckley and Velasquez are still at-large, according to the Beaver County Times.
Though details behind why the shooting took place are not clear, The Times reports a dispute over a cigarette may have started the gunfire:
William Bailey, 28, said just after 3 p.m. he had walked to J’s News on Seventh Avenue to buy cigarettes, and as he left the store a group of three boys began to follow him and ask for a cigarette. Bailey said he ignored the boys, and they followed him the entire way to Peterson’s house.
“I didn’t look at them. I didn’t acknowledge them,” Bailey said. He said the boys yelled at him, used foul language and got progressively louder.
When Bailey arrived at the house, he said Peterson, who was his fiancé, came out and said to the group of boys, “Why don’t you guys get a job.” He said she also told them to quit running the streets.
That’s when one of the teens pulled out a gun, Bailey said. He said when Goosby saw the gun he ran. “He didn’t want any part of that,” Bailey said.
He said the shooter, who police have identified as Velasquez, looked at Cleckley, turned and fired the gun.
Bailey said he was looking around to see where the bullet hit when he heard Peterson say, “Ouch. I can’t feel my legs. I want to lay down.”
“It didn’t look that bad. There wasn’t a lot of blood,” Bailey said of Peterson’s wound.
Police said Peterson was flown to a Pittsburgh hospital where she died from her injuries. Bailey, the father of Peterson’s child, says that he knows the families of the boys involved in the shooting and that he has received condolences and apologies from the boys’ families. The teens have criminal pasts, according to The Times:
Velasquez had at least five previous run-ins with Beaver Falls police. He still is awaiting a hearing on two disorderly conduct citations filed by city police in connection with Nov. 20 and 21 incidents. Velasquez pleaded guilty on Nov. 20 to disorderly conduct and harassment from a June 13, 2011, fight. Two previous disorderly conduct and harassment cases from May 30, 2009, and Nov. 1, 2009, were dismissed on May 5, 2010.
Cleckley and Goosby also have previous incidents listed in online court records. Cleckley pleaded guilty on Nov. 8 to violation of compulsory school attendance in the Big Beaver Falls School District and was fined. Goosby pleaded guilty on Sept. 6 to a disorderly conduct charge for an unspecified incident and was found guilty on Oct. 20, 2011, of disorderly conduct in connection with a Sept. 20, 2011, in Beaver Falls and fined. An harassment citation filed in connection with an Aug. 27, 2010, incident was dismissed at the Sept. 20, 2011, hearing.
Beaver Falls Police Chief Charles Jones said the crime, along with the suspects’ ages, is quite disconcerting. “It’s disheartening juveniles this age were involved in an incident like this, and have guns,” Jones said.
Bailey, in an extraordinary act of empathy, offered emotional support to the men who took his fiance and the mother of child. “I pray for the families that they can handle losing their kids now because of what they’ve done and I pray for (my daughter) because she has to grow up without her mom.”
Originally seen on NewsOne.com
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30