Three teenagers will be charged as adults in the shooting death of a 22-year-old woman in Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.
Kayla Peterson, 22, died after one of the teens shot her in the stomach as she stood on her front porch on Saturday afternoon in Beaver Falls.
Todavia S. Cleckley and Marcus Velasquez, both 14, were charged with conspiracy to commit criminal homicide in the shooting death of the Beaver Falls woman who was the mother of a 23-month-old baby. Valasqiuez has been charged with criminal homicide, two felony counts of aggravated assault and two misdemeanor counts of reckless endangerment. A third teenager, 13-year-old Kyle Goosby Jr. has been charged with criminal conspiracy to commit homicide.
Goosby is in police custody but Cleckley and Velasquez are still at-large, according to the Beaver County Times.
Though details behind why the shooting took place are not clear, The Times reports a dispute over a cigarette may have started the gunfire:
William Bailey, 28, said just after 3 p.m. he had walked to J’s News on Seventh Avenue to buy cigarettes, and as he left the store a group of three boys began to follow him and ask for a cigarette. Bailey said he ignored the boys, and they followed him the entire way to Peterson’s house.
“I didn’t look at them. I didn’t acknowledge them,” Bailey said. He said the boys yelled at him, used foul language and got progressively louder.
When Bailey arrived at the house, he said Peterson, who was his fiancé, came out and said to the group of boys, “Why don’t you guys get a job.” He said she also told them to quit running the streets.
That’s when one of the teens pulled out a gun, Bailey said. He said when Goosby saw the gun he ran. “He didn’t want any part of that,” Bailey said.
He said the shooter, who police have identified as Velasquez, looked at Cleckley, turned and fired the gun.
Bailey said he was looking around to see where the bullet hit when he heard Peterson say, “Ouch. I can’t feel my legs. I want to lay down.”
“It didn’t look that bad. There wasn’t a lot of blood,” Bailey said of Peterson’s wound.
Police said Peterson was flown to a Pittsburgh hospital where she died from her injuries. Bailey, the father of Peterson’s child, says that he knows the families of the boys involved in the shooting and that he has received condolences and apologies from the boys’ families. The teens have criminal pasts, according to The Times:
Velasquez had at least five previous run-ins with Beaver Falls police. He still is awaiting a hearing on two disorderly conduct citations filed by city police in connection with Nov. 20 and 21 incidents. Velasquez pleaded guilty on Nov. 20 to disorderly conduct and harassment from a June 13, 2011, fight. Two previous disorderly conduct and harassment cases from May 30, 2009, and Nov. 1, 2009, were dismissed on May 5, 2010.
Cleckley and Goosby also have previous incidents listed in online court records. Cleckley pleaded guilty on Nov. 8 to violation of compulsory school attendance in the Big Beaver Falls School District and was fined. Goosby pleaded guilty on Sept. 6 to a disorderly conduct charge for an unspecified incident and was found guilty on Oct. 20, 2011, of disorderly conduct in connection with a Sept. 20, 2011, in Beaver Falls and fined. An harassment citation filed in connection with an Aug. 27, 2010, incident was dismissed at the Sept. 20, 2011, hearing.
Beaver Falls Police Chief Charles Jones said the crime, along with the suspects’ ages, is quite disconcerting. “It’s disheartening juveniles this age were involved in an incident like this, and have guns,” Jones said.
Bailey, in an extraordinary act of empathy, offered emotional support to the men who took his fiance and the mother of child. “I pray for the families that they can handle losing their kids now because of what they’ve done and I pray for (my daughter) because she has to grow up without her mom.”
Originally seen on NewsOne.com
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31