It’s not too late. If you haven’t already been watching the Showtime series “Homeland,” now about to conclude its second season, you’ve only got a season to catch up on. If you’ve already been a fan, you know it won’t take long to catch up. “Homeland” is available via Netflix and iTunes and it’s well worth the money and time investment. Here’s why you should be a fan.
It’s pretty challenging to explain the concept of “Homeland.” But we’ll give it a try. It’s based on an Israeli series called “Prisoner of War” about what happens to military captives when they try to reenter society after being liberated. “Homeland” begins with a similar premise. Marine sergeant Nicholas Brody returns home after eight years in captivity and tries to return to his family and life. But his return attracts the attention of CIA agent Carrie Mathison who believes he was turned in captivity and now poses a threat to America. But Mathison has her own problems. The show won the 2012 Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series, among other awards.
Both Damian Lewis and Claire Danes who play Brody and Carrie took home much-deserved Emmys earlier this year for their roles on the show. To say that they put on an acting clinic is to understate the genius of their work together. There are times that an actor meets a storyline and another actor and what takes place is truly phenomenal. That is what happens on “Homeland.” The ensemble cast is stellar as well, particularly veteran actor Mandy Pantinkin as Carrie’s CIA mentor and David Harewoodas her ambitious boss.
Though largely unknown in the U.S., British actor David Harewood should see an uptick in recognition now that he’s played David Estes, the head of the CIA’s Counterterrorism Center. Estes is a cooly ambitious man who has the tough job of reigning in Mathison, his most talented but most troubled agent. For sheer eye candy, the chocolate brown, solidly built Harewood is eminently watchable and he’s one of the strongest black male characters on TV.
Nothing about “Homeland” is TV formula. The first season is full of so many twists and reveals, it’s dizzying. Although some of the plotting does strain believability, the writers do a great job at conveying the tension of the relationships of the hunter and the hunted, as well as the challenging personal lives of those who work in secrecy to keep America safer. The writers flesh out the storylines on either sides making “Homeland” chock-full of satisfyingly complex characters. Lewis and Danes do exceptional work but it’s only because they can handle such meaty writing.
Regardless of what side you fall on U.S./Arab relations, there’s something in “Homeland” for you. The writers do a good job at maintaining the humanity of all parties, making a great case as to why people are often motivated by love to do the most horrific things.
Of course, “Homeland” is a show that has a decidedly pro-American slant but there is just enough exposition of the humanity that drives all the characters to make it palatable to anyone interested in world politics.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30