Almost three years ago, you may recall I talked about the End of the World based on the apocalyptic movie called 2012.
The movie, which many have seen since, played off the hype of people runnin’ around saying that the world was going to end a little over three years from then.
The film’s premise was centered around the Mayan calendar, some ancient ‘end times’ prophecies, New Age ideology and other astrological occurrences that point to December 21, 2012 as being the ‘end of our world as we know it.’
Well, the bad news is pretty obvious that date is only two weeks away.But here’s what may be the good news. You can save a whole lotta money on Xmas presents since, apparently, we won’t be needing ‘em.
And just to let you know, I have faith we’ll all still be around for Xmas, broke and happy as always. That said, I want to talk about this to stress the point that, no matter what day we ultimately make our exit from here, it’s what we do for the time we’re here that truly counts.
Putting a time limit on how much life we might have left changes things. Everything becomes more precious when we look at life from this perspective, forcing us to immediately determine what and who is really important, and how we want to spend the rest of our lives.
So if we really believed the world could end in two weeks, imagine not only what we ‘d do before then, but imagine how incredible and beautiful the world would be if we woke up on Dec 22nd and we were all still here.
Everyone would be overjoyed just to be alive. The holiday wouldn’t be about commercialism, presents or how many gifts we gave or received it would be a holiday that would once again be celebrated for its original meaning, which was the gift of life.
We’d all see each other differently as the Xmas spirit would take on true meaning. Rich and poor, young and old, black and white, even Democrat and Republican would be in the same boat, happy to be alive. (okay, maybe the Republicans would need a yacht but you get the point!
So just in case there’s a chance the world is going to end on the 21st, here’s what I’m going to recommend. Prioritize what and who makes you happy and enjoy it, and them, for your remaining two weeks.
And then, when you wake up on December 22, 2012, start all over and do it again.
I’ll end with this, I’ll give to you the same timely quote from Mark Twain that I used back in 2009, It goes like this:
“Dance like nobody’s watching; Love like you’ve never been hurt; Sing like nobody’s listening; and Live like it’s heaven on earth.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25